Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Siberian cats - are they really ok for those with cat allergies?

(20 Posts)
CountessScabula Wed 12-Sep-07 11:45:38

I have a horrible allergy to cats
I would like one though

Have heard rumour that siberian cats are ok does anyone know about this?

I am not allergic to dogs btw, in fact mainly want cat as company for dog!

CountessScabula Wed 12-Sep-07 11:48:58

says so here

CountessScabula Wed 12-Sep-07 14:09:25

anyone???:

CarGirl Wed 12-Sep-07 14:12:25

get in touch with them and see if anyone local to you owns one that you can go and visit?? Have you tried Rexs'?

KTeePee Wed 12-Sep-07 14:12:41

Don't know about Siberian cats but my dh is allergic and we got a cat which he was ok with - she was a normal mog with short hair. Only ever bothered him if she sat right on top of him and waved her tail in his face!

is there anyway you could borrow one to try out first?

CountessScabula Wed 12-Sep-07 15:05:42

Rex's??

LilRedWG Wed 12-Sep-07 15:08:38

I'm allergic to catts too but have gradually got used to my mog! I had to take anti-histamines for the first few months we had him but now, unless he's in my face, I'm okay with him.

LilRedWG Wed 12-Sep-07 15:08:54

Also cats

geekgirl Wed 12-Sep-07 15:09:01

no - I tested one and it didn't work me unfortunately - had driven 2 hours to stroke a cat, only to end up with slitty itchy eyes

I had been full of hope and the breeder was so certain of their 'hypoallergenic' status, too.hmm
TBH I have come to the conclusion that it's a pile of tosh and maybe ok if your allergies are mainly in your head.

mytwopenceworth Wed 12-Sep-07 15:10:27

you need this type

LilRedWG Wed 12-Sep-07 15:11:51

I wanted one of those - DH wouldn't let me

mytwopenceworth Wed 12-Sep-07 15:12:32

Why not?

LilRedWG Wed 12-Sep-07 15:28:21

He said they are "ugly, freaky buggers" hmm. We now have a black and white moggy, who I adore!

CountessScabula Wed 12-Sep-07 15:35:36

err

I'm with him grin

Well mine is defo real not in head

PILs had two siamese and two dogs. Every time I was down there my nose ran and eyes streamed all weekend.

The cats died and it was all fine

Plus have been tested as a child and came up as allergic to cats and house dust mites

mytwopenceworth Wed 12-Sep-07 16:26:08

You meanie. Don't you know you shouldn't judge on looks? wink

THAT is an ugly cat. poor thing

and I also came across.....

dogs beware

I LOVE the look on this cat's face. I can almost HEAR what it's thinking!

CarGirl Wed 12-Sep-07 20:45:40

Cornish Rex & Devon Rex they have very very short slightly wavy hair and feel like velvet to stroke - very different to normal moggy hair. I'd quite like one but we'd have to get a kitten (therefore expensive) otherwise our neurotic pedigree somali would have a nervous breakdown and wail for months........

Heathcliffscathy Wed 12-Sep-07 20:48:54

ooo, CD we're planning a couple of kittens towards the end of the year (ds is currently 'proving' that he can be responsible enough to look after them by tidying away everything and getting himself dressed in morning....

hope this doesn't mean you can't come round anymore!!!

CountessScabula Wed 12-Sep-07 22:42:57

Well it may do I am violently allergic I used to have to drug myself with antihistamine both orally and in nasal spray form to go to PILs and still I felt terrible, and they give me hives and asthma....

CarGirl Thu 13-Sep-07 13:07:12

When we didn't have a cat the PILs cats made me really ill but I'm much improved now that we have our own.

christywhisty Thu 13-Sep-07 15:36:21

DH is allergic to cats, was in an awful state last time he was round my sister's house.

But he does get use to them when he has been around them for about 6 weeks. He just then has to be careful not to rub his eyes or touch his face after stroking the cat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now