Talk

Advanced search

Would the RSPCA let me take a Cat/Kitten for someone else? I.e as a gift.

(18 Posts)
Nbg Wed 12-Sep-07 10:51:35

My mum and dads cat is quite unwell and she might be coming to her end.

They love Cats and I know my dad would particularly miss her when she goes.

So I was thinking of getting them a new cat when the time comes.
Would the likes of the RSPCA and other rescue places let me take a Cat or a Kitten for them as a suprise?

sparkler Wed 12-Sep-07 10:53:53

We got a cat from the RSPCA and I know they like to check out the home and surrounding area that the pet is going to before they allow anyone to take them. So unless, you can arrange a visit when your parents are out it might be a bit difficult.

Nbg Wed 12-Sep-07 10:56:03

Oh thats a shame.
They rehomed this cat from the RSPCA so I'm wondering if they would still have their details.

Problem is that I live 30 miles from them so I couldnt even arrange something when they werent there.

sparkler Wed 12-Sep-07 10:59:52

Give them a ring and ask. smile Good luck. Sorry to hear their current cat isn't well. We lost our cat a few months ago and it's still very strange without her here. We get ourselves so attached to these animals don't we? I'm only just coming round to the idea of getting another pet but not sure if it will be another cat or something else as yet.

mustsleep Wed 12-Sep-07 11:06:49

we looked into getting one from them and where told that they would not send one home unless you have visited twice also they will want to check out wher the cat will be living as they will not let you have one if you live near a busy road or a school

they will also not let you have a kitten if you have a child under 5 or let you have a cat if you have a child under 5 ( it's a wonder they actually get to rehome any cats at all

Nbg Wed 12-Sep-07 11:09:43

I might have to check out the ads instead then.

Such a shame when theres so many cats that need rehoming. Although I can understand why they do it.

sparkler Wed 12-Sep-07 11:12:53

Don't give up yet. Phone them and see what they say. It's such a shame to buy a cat from other sources when the RSPCA have so many needy ones!!

MellowMa Wed 12-Sep-07 11:18:34

Message withdrawn

Nbg Wed 12-Sep-07 11:19:53

Yes I'll definately call them first though.

Sounds awful but I need to wait and see what happens to the cat they have first.
Poor thing isnt well though.

sparkler Wed 12-Sep-07 11:19:55

Yes, do it!!! No pressure! wink wink grin

MellowMa Wed 12-Sep-07 11:22:37

Message withdrawn

Nbg Wed 12-Sep-07 11:22:45

Oh no
grin

MellowMa Wed 12-Sep-07 11:24:11

Message withdrawn

Nbg Wed 12-Sep-07 11:25:56

Awwww shes so cute grin

My mum and dads cat is a devonshire rex. Gorgeous cat but shes never been out and is very very timid because she was beaten in her previous home.
Its actually some of this that has made her so ill sad

My mum was saying she would probably just get a moggie next time.
Although I know she loves Sphinx cats.

alycat Wed 12-Sep-07 11:26:43

I am an RSPCA homechecker!

Your parents, as the future carers for the cat, would have to be part of the home check.

You could try a more local animal shelter, as some do not have such stringent rules.

Most rescue charities are against the giving of animals as gifts.

Nbg Wed 12-Sep-07 11:28:14

Thanks alycat!

I did think that I wouldnt have much luck. I'm sure as soon as you hear the word "gift" it starts alarm bells ringing.

I think there are a few local places where we live.
I'll give them a call though.

alycat Wed 12-Sep-07 11:28:24

If she loves a particular breed you can contact the rehoming service for that breed.

We have a Pedigree Maine Coon (with papers) from the Maine Coon rescue.

Nbg Wed 12-Sep-07 11:29:44

Oh right!
I wasnt aware of that.

I shall do some research.

Whatever cat they got, it would be very very much loved and cared for and have the most wonderful home and garden to play in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now