Talk

Advanced search

dd's childminder has chickens. risk to dd?

(11 Posts)
yentil Mon 10-Sep-07 15:12:18

title says it all really; just wondered because i am worried about bird flu and if she could catch anything else?

I keep chickens and don't consider that my dd is at risk. Bird flu is not rampant in this country and has been hyped up by the media no end.

I can't think of anything else she could catch from them. Obviously if she touches them or the hen house she needs to be washing her hands afterwards. I'm sure she'll love looking for eggs.

lailasmum Mon 10-Sep-07 18:07:36

its safe, don't worry.

Twiglett Mon 10-Sep-07 18:09:39

chicken pox

<sniggers>

PanicPants Mon 10-Sep-07 18:10:46

My cm was going to get chickens and I was worried too. I think I'd have to think hard about it personally, particulary as I can remember my Dad catching psitticosis from the birds he kept (parrots and chickens) he nearly died, so I guess I am slightly paranoid when it comes to any sort of bird - with or without bird flu thrown in the mix.

Wisteria Mon 10-Sep-07 18:15:47

She'll be fine, we were brought up on a farm, my grandparents had chickens, as do some of my friends, the same rules apply; wash hands after touching them and as the other poster said, she'll love looking for eggs and it's a wonderful experience for her.

Parrots are a worry for psitticosis, but I don't think chickens are, don't quote me tho'wink.

<sniggering at Twig>

Whizzz Mon 10-Sep-07 18:19:04

PP - I think you can only catch psitticosis from really close contact with infected birds. I doubt the CM is going to give the kids the chickens to play with or let them play in the chicken run?

Wisteria Mon 10-Sep-07 18:21:44

plus the fact it's really bloody hard to catch a chicken - let alone play with it!!

Blandmum Mon 10-Sep-07 18:40:13

It is rare that chickens get it, they can but it is rare.

The major cause of Pittacosis is parrots being infected.

Good basic hygine is all that is needed, hand washing etc

WriggleJiggle Mon 10-Sep-07 23:22:32

Chickens really aren't that much fun to play with. You can feed them, collect eggs, chase them, get them to follow you, but you'd hardly play with them in the same close way as you would a dog or rabbit.

handlemecarefully Mon 10-Sep-07 23:24:46

Bird flu is so yesterday wink

Seriously, there is nothing to be concerned about

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now