Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit/guinea pig cohabitation: will Toby eat Rose Tyler's babies?

(9 Posts)
Fennel Mon 10-Sep-07 12:54:05

Toby is a 6 month old rabbit, friendly and gentle. He shares a hutch and pen (separate bedrooms) with Rose Tyler, a 4 month old guinea pig, brought in to stop Toby getting lonely. She's surprised us with babies.

What do we do? Do we have to remove Toby quickly before he eats/decapitates or whatever the babies or will they be Ok all together. Babies are guarded by Rose the fierce in their own bedroom. Toby probaby wouldn't dare go in there.

Tottie32 Mon 10-Sep-07 14:22:31

could you take them out into carboard box untill thye grow a bit,

my friend had this same situation and they bunny didnt eat the baby piggies, but that is not to say your wont,

i would keep them apart for a while they will grow quickly

Fennel Mon 10-Sep-07 14:28:24

Thanks for replying, maybe it's best to separate them just in case.

Tottie32 Mon 10-Sep-07 14:30:01

i would just to be safe....

how many babies are there?
are yoy keeping them

my friends had 2 babies and she kept them both and thye all live happily together smile

Fennel Mon 10-Sep-07 14:31:00

2 babies, we are tempted to keep them. So it's good to hear that it worked for your friend smile

Tottie32 Mon 10-Sep-07 14:33:04

the babies were 2 girls...

so make sure you have them sexed, otherwise you may have inter breeding!!!!

UnquietDad Mon 10-Sep-07 14:40:10

Love the names. Bearing Rose in mind, did you name Toby after the one in "The Impossible Planet"?...

dustystar Mon 10-Sep-07 14:46:19

I think its usually female rabbits that you need to worry about with eating babies that aren't theirs. We had lots of rabbit litters when i was young plus a couple of Guinea pig litters too and the only eating incident was when one rabbit gave birth to 2 litters at the same time that were about 2 weeks apart in developmentally. She started eating the dead ones and the vet said to remove them ASAP as she might start on the live ones but she didn't.

Fennel Mon 10-Sep-07 14:49:03

My gerbil killed by decapitating some of her babies when I was a child, when she got disturbed.

Toby wasn't named after anyone in particular, no. Am tempted to call Rose's babies after Dr Who characters though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now