Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

1st season for dog - is she having a phantom??

(3 Posts)
Nat1H Thu 06-Sep-07 21:59:12

I have a cocker spaniel bitch who had her 1st season about 8 weeks ago. During her season her vuvla, nipples and boobs swelled up drastically. Her boobs have gone down now, but are still a little bit enlarged, and her nipples are still sticking out of her fur. Her fur is becoming all matted around her nipple area - so bad that I am having to cut it out. Is she having a phantom pregnancy or has she just 'matured'? Please advise - I have only had dogs before, never bitches. Do I need to take her to the vets?

caspercat Fri 07-Sep-07 15:05:14

Is her fur matting because the nipples are discharging? And is there no chance she is pregnant? If her nipples are discharging, then i would take her to a vet. Usual signs of a phantom pregnancy are 'nesting' (making a bed, gathering cuddly toys) swollen teats and maybe being off her food. Sometimes the teats can feel swollen & hot to touch. If she has none of these is unlikely to be a phantom pregnancy. Will you be getting her spayed?

Nat1H Fri 07-Sep-07 20:44:32

I think her nipples may be disacharging, and I have noticed her scratching them today, even though there is no matted fur left (poor dog is almost bald, as I have cut it all out!). She isn't nesting and is eating OK. Looks like I am going to have to take her to the vets anyway! I was hoping to let her have a litter next summer as she is a beautiful dog. Really 'pretty' and great with our kids. Will keep you posted - thanks for your reply!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now