Talk

Advanced search

1st season for dog - is she having a phantom??

(3 Posts)
Nat1H Thu 06-Sep-07 21:59:12

I have a cocker spaniel bitch who had her 1st season about 8 weeks ago. During her season her vuvla, nipples and boobs swelled up drastically. Her boobs have gone down now, but are still a little bit enlarged, and her nipples are still sticking out of her fur. Her fur is becoming all matted around her nipple area - so bad that I am having to cut it out. Is she having a phantom pregnancy or has she just 'matured'? Please advise - I have only had dogs before, never bitches. Do I need to take her to the vets?

caspercat Fri 07-Sep-07 15:05:14

Is her fur matting because the nipples are discharging? And is there no chance she is pregnant? If her nipples are discharging, then i would take her to a vet. Usual signs of a phantom pregnancy are 'nesting' (making a bed, gathering cuddly toys) swollen teats and maybe being off her food. Sometimes the teats can feel swollen & hot to touch. If she has none of these is unlikely to be a phantom pregnancy. Will you be getting her spayed?

Nat1H Fri 07-Sep-07 20:44:32

I think her nipples may be disacharging, and I have noticed her scratching them today, even though there is no matted fur left (poor dog is almost bald, as I have cut it all out!). She isn't nesting and is eating OK. Looks like I am going to have to take her to the vets anyway! I was hoping to let her have a litter next summer as she is a beautiful dog. Really 'pretty' and great with our kids. Will keep you posted - thanks for your reply!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: