Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

stick insects!

(36 Posts)
triplets Wed 05-Sep-07 23:08:18

One of my boys wants some for Christmas, are they easy to keep and where do I get them?

woodenchair Wed 05-Sep-07 23:21:13

My brother had them when he was about 8, they make really good pets. word of warning though, they multiply, they do that thing where you only need one lady to get babies, lots of them.

Think I saw some in pet at home the other week.

oh yeah and don't leave the top off, they get all over the house!

triplets Wed 05-Sep-07 23:34:16

The cats would love it if they escaped! He has his heart set n them, the only other thing he wanted was a scorpion!!!!!!!!!

octoandslosh Wed 05-Sep-07 23:35:58

pets at home do them

it's not one lady you need, stick insects are asexual so they pre-create entirely on their own, meaning you end up with hundreds, then thousands, then ....... of the little things grin

octoandslosh Wed 05-Sep-07 23:36:30

it's the slosh i tell you, I meant procreate of course!

WendyWeber Wed 05-Sep-07 23:37:58

small life supplies look good

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM PETS AT HOME!!! They recently sold us 2 male rats to keep with our 2 existing male rats. We now have 27 tiny babies hmm

iliketosleep Thu 06-Sep-07 19:35:57

i used to have a stick insect, i kept him in a tall plastic sweet jar! all you need is fresh privat every couple of days and your set. They are the easiest thing to look after!!

triplets Fri 07-Sep-07 20:50:02

Thanks for that tip, did you put lots of holes in the top then?

Bomper Fri 07-Sep-07 20:51:17

Ds has them, they're quite sweet when they are little, but they get MAHOOSIVE - so be warned!! Also, do watch out for the eggs and get rid before they hatch or you will be overrun!!

tortoise Fri 07-Sep-07 20:55:13

I used to have stick insects. You can buy kits now. hawkins bazzar had them.
Just watch out because they will eat each other grin Ours often had a leg or two missing!
Very easy to look after and fun to handle once a bit bigger.

tortoise Fri 07-Sep-07 20:56:58

here

iliketosleep Fri 07-Sep-07 23:33:35

yes plenty of holes in the top and as long as you have just 1 its ok mine was called sticky hmm

iliketosleep Fri 07-Sep-07 23:34:31

mind you when it was smaller it was ok but when it got bigger it scared me a little as its mouth sort of grew and it looked scary

triplets Sat 08-Sep-07 19:50:43

On second thoughts................hmm

woodenchair Sat 08-Sep-07 20:36:37

they are the gift that keeps on giving!!

sallysparrow Sat 08-Sep-07 22:12:00

Just looked at links - how much??? I saw them in a pet shop recently for a pound each. If you can get a sweetie jar or similar thats a pretty cheap pet!

What do you feed them on if you havent got a privet hedge? I heard they like brambles.

WendyWeber Sat 08-Sep-07 22:13:38

Even if you haven't got a privet hedge yourself someone nearby will wink

WendyWeber Sat 08-Sep-07 22:14:20

(But you must keep the stalks in a little pot of water - put cling film over the top and push the stalks through)

MrsMuddle Sat 08-Sep-07 22:21:43

We keep ours (started with 2, now have about 40!) in a fish tank thing with a lid with holes in it. Ours eat privet and brambles. Not the world's most interesting pet, but pretty easy to look after. My tip would be to have lots of people lined up to give a couple of baby ones to from time to time or you'll end up with hundreds.

You can use any container and just put a pair of tights or something over the top.

WendyWeber Sat 08-Sep-07 22:27:50

MrsM, we had some in a fish-tank-thing with slits in the lid and the babies slithered through the slits shock

tortoise Sat 08-Sep-07 22:31:23

Ours were fed on Privet and ivy. Mum was always sending me out to collect ivy!

sallysparrow Sat 08-Sep-07 22:39:13

Thats all right then - got loads of ivy and brambles!

(Live in a small village can imagine the reputation id get if i was spotted surrepticiously pruning someone elses privet!

MrsMuddle Sat 08-Sep-07 22:43:43

Yes, I forgot that the babies did get through the slits. I used to find them on the walls all the time. I then put a layer of clingfilm between the lid and the tank, and poked holes in it.

Botbot Sat 08-Sep-07 22:45:25

No advice, but I'd like to just mention that my mum had some stick insects called Gary, Robbie, Mark, Jason and Howard in the early 90s. She's cool, my mum.

Spidermama Sat 08-Sep-07 22:48:31

triplets hi. We have had stick insects for over a year now. One has died, babies have arrived and grown up.

They are so easy to keep that you almost forget you have them. They need to be cleaned out once or twice a fortnight.

They eat privet and ivy. I put loads of sticks in their tank, then there's a tub in the middle with holes in which I stick the privet and ivy into. Plenty to climb on for them.

I spray them every day or every second day.
Aparently they don't like the temp to drop below about 16'C so you have to get a warm mat for the winter.

They lay lots of eggs which you might want to crush if you don't want them to multiply too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now