Talk

Advanced search

Hamster has bitten ds

(12 Posts)
MuffinMclay Mon 20-Aug-07 10:24:08

Wasn't sure if this should go in health or pets...

I'm looking after someone's hamster for 3 weeks, and this morning the little b**r has bitten ds (16 months). Quite a nasty bite - much blood (and tears) shed.

Stupid, neurotic question, I know, but could it do him any harm? Is this normal for hamsters? I know nothing about these creatures...

MrsWeasley Mon 20-Aug-07 10:27:19

hamsters sink their teeth right in (they have long teeth) so will produce lots of blood. I was bitten and had no lasting effects except I soon learnt when not to touch Hammy!

My hamster was alwasy asleep this time of the day so maybe it was tired!

Hulababy Mon 20-Aug-07 10:29:00

One of 5yo DD's gerbils bit her and yes, it causes a fair bit of bleeding. Hopefully it will be short lasting though. DD was fine and no long term harm done. She does however now know not to go in their cage without me being there!

Wags Mon 20-Aug-07 10:29:26

Hamsters bite, thats pretty much what they do. Some can be OK if they are handled all the time in a gentle way but its in their nature to nip. I woldn't bother letting a 16m near one I must admit, can't see the point for either hamster or child. Bit naughty of the owners maybe not to let you know. I would make sure finger is well washed, not sure if hamster bites are prone to infection or not. I know dog bites are, but thats not helpful to you. Maybe someone else will know a bit more about it. Your poor DS

Tigana Mon 20-Aug-07 10:30:10

Normal for hamsters, especially if they are not used to being handled.

serenity Mon 20-Aug-07 10:31:56

Hamsters are evil little buggers, and it sounds quite normal to me. We got DS2 one when Dd was about the same age as your DS and she got bitten a few times before she realised not to put her fingers anywhere near the cage, We were lucky in a way that the hamster died (of natural causes I hasten to add) after we had had it for a few months, and we got gerbils instead.

DD was fine, the bites didn't do her any harm other than the initial pain and blood ([angry) but it would probably be a good idea to move the Hamster out of poking range. I must say that I don't have a problem with rodents at all, I'll even catch and pick up wild mice without flinching but I've never run across anything as grumpy as bloody hamsters. Good luck for the next 3 weeks!

MuffinMclay Mon 20-Aug-07 10:33:32

SIL specifically said that the hamster wouldn't bite (something about big ones don't bite, small do ).

Do you think I should tell her that it bit ds? I don't want to look like I'm complaining about it, but she has 4 young dcs (rodent belongs to one of these).

southeastastra Mon 20-Aug-07 10:34:49

none of our hamster bit, but we mauled them alot

Speccy Mon 20-Aug-07 11:16:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OrmIrian Mon 20-Aug-07 11:34:31

This is why I don't think hamsters are good pets for little ones. They bite. Of course they bloody bite - they are nocturnal creatures and when someone grabs them or pokes a finger at them in the middle of a good sleep they react. Badly. Wouldn't you? Perhaps you should teach DS to stay awake at night to play with it

Never had a hamster as a child but I knew enough children who did and they always seem to be bad-tempered and unfriendly. And they kept the children awake at night by endlessly running in their wheel...on and on!

MuffinMclay Mon 20-Aug-07 11:37:11

Top tips Speccy! She bit ds from inside the cage, but there's no way I'm going to attempt to pick her up now.
I think they're quite scary creatures. Give me a bouncy dog any day!

Speccy Mon 20-Aug-07 13:04:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now