Talk

Advanced search

*REALLY NEED HEKP* 6 MONTH OLD PUP, NEED TO TRAIN ECT ...

(11 Posts)
kitsandbits Sat 18-Aug-07 19:15:11

Hiya,

ive had a dog before but about 4 yrs ago and was only 17 so didnt really train him

The dogs justarrived now and seems a bit 'bitey' think thats down to teething.

She was barking at the toddler too.

Dont want to give up on her that fast (shes been passed about )

I need to learn how to handle her, what to do in regards to the toddlers,

toilet training ect!

thanks

Nbg Sat 18-Aug-07 19:18:04

Routine routine routine.

Walk her at roughly the same time everyday so she knows that shes going out and thats where she does her business. When she does do her business, treat her.

As for yapping, try distracting her with a loud noise. That usually does the trick.

I'd suggest getting her a chewy stick or toy to help with her teething. It will save your furniture
I call it mouthing when they look like they are biting.

jules99 Sat 18-Aug-07 19:23:51

hi kits,

i have some old books on dog training if they are any use?

i will have to have a look upstairs,

and i have a whole basket full of dog chew toys that my hound has grown out of (he is old now)

a dog is a great way your kids can learn about looking after a pet but you have to be careful with little ones,

it is alot to take on, you might benefit from a dog crate in the early days, they can be expensive but ebay or your local paper may have some cheap 2nd hand ones,

the most important thing to remember to teach your kids at the moment is...

let sleeping dogs lie

kitsandbits Sat 18-Aug-07 20:31:16

Oh yes please jules! Thanks

am a bit clueless

shes alot better since kids have gone to bed, but she snapped at DS1 and DH went mad, but i think it was all too much for her.

My BIL/SIL are coming tomorrow - theyre dog experts!

jules99 Sat 18-Aug-07 20:44:20

my lovely pooch was a rescue dog, he was really badly treated, they burned him with ciggies and beat him and he was a nightmare for a good 2 years (not what you want to hear)

you must if you get chance take her to puppy training classes, they are great and they will get her used to other dogs and lots of people being around her, they are only a few quid a week and so worth the time and effort,

the snapping needs to be watched very carfully, i know you know this

the first word you need to teach her is 'NO'

forget all the sit, paw and roll over shit to start with

NO means NO,

NO means STOP whatever you are doing IMMEDIATELY

NO means DO NOT do that again

NO means i mean business snoopdoggie if you dont stop that right NOW

you get my meaning

kitsandbits Sun 19-Aug-07 08:45:30

We actully got a call last night and it was the 'mum'

She asked us if we are 100% on keeping her (and the past 3 hours had been pretty hellish) She had bitten everyone of us and was quite agressive.

I asked why and she said her neighbours had wanted her too, an older couple (kids grown up) and the woman had just retired - earlier than the hubby and was bored at home and wanted Sascha,

so I let her go.

It was so hard and I was sobbing all night but The people picked her up and were sooo lovely.

And I know it was the right thing to do because she will have TIME for Sach, time to train her properly - something i dont with 2 kids under 3!!

So not the happy ending I wanted but a happy ending ( )

Speccy Sun 19-Aug-07 08:55:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kitsandbits Sun 19-Aug-07 09:03:06

I agree, we weren't looking for a puppy, she just happened.

And i think something as huge as that requires time and thought into it.

We always said that if we ever had a dog it would be a pug, sooo gentle.

But after yesterday I think it will be a few years before we even look into that!

Nbg Sun 19-Aug-07 09:15:22

Awwww kits

Well done for making a good choice for the dog though.

Just keep saving and buy the dog you really want.

kitsandbits Sun 19-Aug-07 09:18:13

I have some pics I took of her before she went, ill post them later.

jules99 Sun 19-Aug-07 18:02:17

sorry kits

just read your posts,

glad you made the right desision for you and your family,

i once got a second rescue dog and she decided after 2 days she didnt like my old faithful hound and bullied him, pinched his bed, food and snarled and snapped at him constantly, he spent the next day hiding behind the sofa,

we took her back on day 3 and i cried

silly looking back as she had only been here a few days but it is so easy to get attached to them,

i am sure she went to an 'only' dog home and would have been much happier there,

you can always get a lovely family dog when your little ones get a bit bigger,

J x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now