Talk

Advanced search

Feeling angry...

(7 Posts)
Bomper Sat 18-Aug-07 14:17:07

My dear little cat was run over last week and I was really deeply affected by it. Still burst into tears out of the blue. Was telling my sister and brother-in-law about it, and BiL just said 'Oh lucky you, wish we could get rid of our one like that!!', now I know he was joking but I thought it was a bit insensitive. Later, I was telling my sister about how upset I was and she said 'Yeah, well you always were a bit soppy weren't you', no words of comfort at all. I know it wasn't a person that died, but my grief is still real, and I feel quite upset that they didn't take it seriously. Perhaps I am just hyper sensitive at the moment. What do you think?

Imawurzel Sat 18-Aug-07 14:18:26

Me and DH will be upest when his parents cat 'goes' She's about 14 i think such a lovely cat. Very vocal especially when your on the phone to mil.
Always wants atention.

NAB3 Sat 18-Aug-07 14:18:50

I am sorry to hear about your cat. I would ignore your BIL. Some people aren't that bothered about animals. I have had my cat since she was 5 weeks old and she will be 13 at the end of this month. I would be heartbroken if she died.

madamez Sat 18-Aug-07 14:20:38

Maybe they have things that are, to them, more important to think about than someone else's pet. Maybe they don't like animals. Or maybe they think you're being a bit of a drama queen. Perhaps they are not the best people to turn to for sympathy is there is someone else available who is more likely to share your point of view.

Bomper Sat 18-Aug-07 14:30:43

Didn't expect much sympathy from BiL, but was hoping for a bit of support from sister. I am always lending a supporting ear for her 'dramas' and try to be helpful and understanding, and was hoping for similar back in return. Obviously, I shouldn't have.

beautifulgirls Sat 18-Aug-07 16:19:00

Unless they have pet of their own that they are actually close to, then they have no sense of what you have actually lost. It is a shame that they can't try to understand how you feel even if they do not feel the same about their own pets. Hard though it is try not to let them get to you. Know that there is nothing wrong with greiving for your poor cat and allow yourself to work through this in the way you feel is right for you.
I am sorry for you and the family

Phraedd Sat 18-Aug-07 17:02:57

my dog died last year completely out of the blue and i couldn't stop crying for days....i was heartbroken.

Pets become such a huge part in your everyday life....of course it is upsetting when they die.

it does get easier in time though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now