loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know anything about GOLDFISH ??

(9 Posts)
princessmel Wed 15-Aug-07 14:57:19

Hi,

We won a fish at the fair on sunday.

I didn't think they were allowed to still do this actually!

Anyway we brought a small tank from the fair man but after a day upgraded it to a nice one from the local Fisheries. Got a filter, bridge, gravel, fake plants, drops to make the trap water safe and averything!
Ds named it Optimus Prime.

Anyway Optimus didn't seem to eat anything (well he didn't seem to) and this morning we found him dead

We're going back to the fisheries later to ask about getting another one but just wondered if anyone had any info about keeping fish.

I think this one didn't survive long because it was from the fair.

pucca Wed 15-Aug-07 15:01:15

The 'proper' way to do it, is to cycle your tank for a few weeks before buying fish, i didn't do this though infact i bought 3 goldfish and the tank at the same time, didn't even have a filter on them for a good while, used to do a full water change (which is another thing you not supposed to do!) and in the end they grew that big, i had to give them to one of dh's mates to put in his outside pond!

Goldfish are hardy fish, sounds to me like it was already ill, or it may have died through stress, there are lots of different potions you can buy including an anti stress one.

If you are going to buy another, buy a book too, or ask the pet shop worker advice.

Good luck

princessmel Wed 15-Aug-07 15:02:53

Yes the guy did tell me that its best to run the tank for a while ( 10 days I think) before I put the fish in. But as we already had the fish he said we'll just have to put it straight in.

Ds has already thought of new names!

Furball Wed 15-Aug-07 15:03:48

have a read of This

princessmel Wed 15-Aug-07 15:32:01

Ooh thanks that great

princessmel Wed 15-Aug-07 15:34:58

that's

misspiggy Wed 15-Aug-07 15:39:29

DH won a goldfish at the fair 6 years ago, very rarely cleans it out and it's still going strong, would you believe!

Maybe you were just unlucky - your poor DS must have been disappointed. Better luck with hte next one.

princessmel Thu 16-Aug-07 13:08:43

I've heard stories like that before misspiggy
Our neighbour had a fish in a bowl for 10 years!!

ds was disappointed. Dh said he came downstairs and found ds on a chair next to the tank. The lid was open and he poking the fish with a straw. He said 'he's stuck daddy, I'm trying to help him '

Went to the fisharies yesterday and they told me to take some of the water out, top it up with fresh stuff and add the chemical drop thingys. Then I have to leave it to bubble away for 10 days before I put new ones in.

I got it some new fake weed too!!!

misspiggy Fri 17-Aug-07 09:32:43

Oh, that's so sad 'he's stuck daddy, I'm trying to help him ' , bless him!

Best of luck with Optimus II - hopefully he'll be a SuperGoldfish like ours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now