Talk

Advanced search

Shih Tzu Hairloss and Acting Strange

(7 Posts)
Rlb123 Sat 05-Oct-19 02:04:25

Hi,

My dog has been acting extremely strange for about 4 hours now. He can't sit or lie still and has now taken comfort running up and down my living room. Only then have I noticed that a lot of his hair is all over my carpet, he has never shed that much in his life (he's 18 months).

He's also scratching and licking himself A LOT and it appears he doesn't like being in a dark room even tho this has never bothered him before.

Obviously vets aren't open at 2am but I'm at my wits end. I have a 6 mo so it's not like I can rest in the morning. 😡

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with him, or suggest anything that I can do to calm him down?

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Sat 05-Oct-19 02:08:16

Check your vets, they may have a 24 hour service, many do, no idea what it could be but your pup sounds very uncomfortable, could be allergies, have you given them any different food from the norm?

3luckystars Sat 05-Oct-19 03:11:33

I agree with checking the vets, they sometimes leave a number for emergencies on the answering machine.

I'm not an expert but is there any chance the dog ate anything dodgy? Medicine?

The hair loss might just be a coincidence, sometimes they can shed loads at a certain time of year. I hope he feels better soon.

custardbear Sat 05-Oct-19 04:15:06

Could it be fleas?

SilverChime Sat 05-Oct-19 04:20:54

He sounds itchy. I’d comb through him with a pair of tweezers under a bright light and see what you find. Not necessarily fleas or ticks - could also be mites which you’d see as red swollen spots of skin or possibly tiny orange dots. And definitely go to the vet in the morning.

Rlb123 Sat 05-Oct-19 12:36:15

Update, it's allergies. Been to the vets this morning. He's had an antihistamine and he's back to his happy self again! Thank goodness for that 😌 thanks for your help!

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Sat 05-Oct-19 18:57:59

Glad to hear pup is ok now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »