Talk

Advanced search

What to feed two adult male cats

(13 Posts)
beatriceprior Tue 10-Sep-19 20:54:27

My two brothers currently have two pouches each daily, plus a bowl of unlimited dry food which they snack on now and again.

Is this enough as they beg for food constantly.

They are wormed, flea'd etc so it can't be worms.

They get a tin of tuna/salmon/some sort of meat on a Saturday as a treat.

FFSDH Tue 10-Sep-19 20:57:03

My male cat has exactly the same - 2 pouches plus unlimited dry food. He still begs for food constantly and has been caught nicking next doors dog food a couple of times. He’s currently munching his way through a pigeon that he unsuccessfully attempted to drag through the cat flap. He’s not even 1 yet.

EntirelyAnonymised Tue 10-Sep-19 20:57:27

The quality of pet food varies massively.

petfoodexpert.co.uk/ is a good comparison site for loads of pet foods. Worth checking the nutritional quality of what your cats are currently eating.

This is the second time I’ve posted this site, I’m not sponsored by them grin

beatriceprior Tue 10-Sep-19 21:05:12

I will have a look thank you.

They constantly get extras. Bacon from my daughter, Any left over meat from dinner,
Skin from mackerel etc but they just beg constantly.

They currently have whiskas. They don't like other brands that I've tried.

Maybe they are just spoilt!!

beatriceprior Tue 10-Sep-19 21:07:17

Also - they have a cat flap they rarely leave the house. So they are not overly active either.

Melisha44 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:52:28

Science plan is excellent, it's expensive but worth every penny.

EntirelyAnonymised Wed 11-Sep-19 13:05:35

Hills SciencePlan is a triumph of marketing over substance. Putting it in vets makes it look ‘medical’ and high quality. Check it out on the site I linked above. It isn’t and for the price is an outrageous rip off shock

SconeofDestiny Wed 11-Sep-19 13:38:40

I'm not surprised they're hungry.
Science Plan, Royal Canin and Whiskas etc. are all poor quality cat food full of cheap bulking agents. Feed them something with a higher protein content and no wheat to bulk it out. I feed mine a variety of cat foods that I buy online from zooplus. Bozita is always happily noshed in this house.

FFSDH Wed 11-Sep-19 21:16:06

entirely I tried having a look st that website and I can’t make any sense of it at all. It doesn’t tell you what information you need to put in and rates cat food with stars on variables such as ‘social’ confused

stucknoue Wed 11-Sep-19 21:41:26

It may not be enough depending on their size. There's a cat from down the road who comes and steals dry dog food if I put the bowl on the deck (my dog is free fed dry dog food but I'm fussy on the brand)

EntirelyAnonymised Thu 12-Sep-19 08:30:59

FFSDH

The filters are based on how much you want to spend a day on feeding, how nutritious the food is (the quality of the proteins, carbs & fats and whether there are any fillers in there), whether the food contains any common allergens (‘high’ means it contains a lot, ‘normal’ an average amount, etc). The ‘social’ stuff is about ethics and whether the business has any any ethical plus points, which matters to some buyers but might not to you (it doesn’t particularly to me).

There is a page on how they score here to help you figure out what it is you’re looking at.

ifonly4 Thu 19-Sep-19 15:07:51

My two one year old boys are on six Felix pouches and approx 60g dry (Applaws or Thrive) a day and I'm sure they would eat more. I've managed to get them onto a better quality dry cat food, but they're fussy with wet. I've found a few other wet varieties they'll eat, butI suspect the cereals or vegetable protein upsets one of their tummies.

Novae Tue 24-Sep-19 21:58:29

In my opinion that's even too much for them for a day, especially if your brothers buy good dry food for them. The high-quality dry food contains all necessary vitamins and minerals iheartcats.com/pros-and-cons-of-wet-and-dry-cat-food/ , and that's really enough for a day without any additional snack.
For example, I have two cats too and give them such dry food according to their weight, if they start to overeat, they'll become fat rather fast. That's why vets and experienced cats owners on special pet care resources strongly recommend controlling the general amount of food which your cat eats daily.
And yeah, they always want more, it's ok even if you provide really enough food for them smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »