Talk

Advanced search

What breed are my new kittens?

(15 Posts)
flyingfairy Tue 07-Aug-07 19:18:18

Hi everyone,
I'm about to fill out a new insurance form for my new kittens but how do I know what breed they are??
They came from a friend of a friend's mum who had no interest in them from the sounds of it, so I didnt ask any questions and just took them in the fear they may have been drowned, (although they were covered in fleas but we soon sorted that.)
I have a brother and a sister (again, this is what I was told (I'm not certain)
The male is mainly white with black parts, and the female is mainly black, ginger and small parts of white.
Any ideas anyone?? x

Theclosetpagan Tue 07-Aug-07 19:28:02

Just put "Domestic shorthair" which covers all shorthaired cats who are not pedigree.

They sound similar to my two - enjoy them.

Boredveryverybored Tue 07-Aug-07 19:28:53

Yes domestic shorthair

Boredveryverybored Tue 07-Aug-07 19:29:26

unless of course they're longhaired

flyingfairy Tue 07-Aug-07 19:29:36

Thanks, what is the differance then? I have seen pictures of differant cats (siamese, longhaired etc) but what are domestic shorthair and pedigree??)

iota Tue 07-Aug-07 19:32:35

your female sound like a tortoiseshell or calico

Theclosetpagan Tue 07-Aug-07 19:33:28

If they are pedigree you'll have paid a fortune for them and they'll come with pedigree papers. I soooo wanted a Maine Coon kitten (£400 per kitten) DH was very unreasonable and said I couldn't.

Mine were free and got them through Freecycle from a lady I gave a carseat to.

flyingfairy Tue 07-Aug-07 19:46:31

Yes iota she is more or less exactly like the second picture. And the boy (?) is the same but black and white.
So is that domestic shorthair then?

flyingfairy Tue 07-Aug-07 19:50:07

Wow, just had a look at the maine coon kitten... how sweet!!!!

look atthis page

iota Tue 07-Aug-07 19:50:13

yes FF, I think she must be a domestic short hair - the tortoiseshell or calico refers to the colour not the breed.

flyingfairy Tue 07-Aug-07 19:51:04

PS I'm relatively new on here so any chance someone can tell me a few of the abbs?
(DH, DD...)

iota Tue 07-Aug-07 19:52:02

see here for details on domestic shorthair

flyingfairy Tue 07-Aug-07 19:53:48

Thank you iota that brilliant

iota Tue 07-Aug-07 19:54:09

if you check the 4th line down at the top of the page :- useful stuff, there is a list of acronyms used on Mumsnet

flyingfairy Tue 07-Aug-07 19:58:16

aha thanks xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: