Talk

Advanced search

Pond Problems - Help.

(5 Posts)
gscrym Tue 07-Aug-07 12:45:30

My filter on my fish pond broke down last week and I'm waiting on bits for it. DS shouted this morning 'mummy look, the fishes have changed colour'. I had a look and the 4 fish I have in there all have a cotton wool like stuff on them and look a bit poorly. I dug out the old leaky filter and put the hose in and they seem quite a bit better. I've left the pump off for a week or so before and they've been fine. I've been looking in most days and the water doesn't look cloudy.

What treatment should I put in the water. The fish are all about 6 years old. Any advice greatfully received.

mummylin2495 Tue 07-Aug-07 20:49:07

it sounds like the fish have fungus i will go and ask my dh what you can use ,we also have biggish pond with fish and have had this problem in the past.

mummylin2495 Tue 07-Aug-07 20:51:07

right have asked dh and he says definatly fungus ,you can buy treatment for it at an aquatic shop.

LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 07-Aug-07 20:52:54

our fish in the fishtank when i was little got that white stuff but i cant bloody remember what its called!
does it look like cob-webs hanging off them or is it like white balls/lumps stuck to them?

LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 07-Aug-07 20:57:23

Standard anti- fungal medications, such as methylene blue, are usually very effective, but may affect filtration and water quality. When the disease occurs on open wounds, aquarium salt at a dose of 1-3g/litre can help reduce salt loss. Cotton-wool disease (Flexibacter) looks similar but is caused by bacteria and may require a different treatment.

which is it dear?
cobwebs or cotton wool balls?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now