Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New kittens... ??

(5 Posts)
flyingfairy Sun 29-Jul-07 21:46:43

Hi everyone. I have got two new kittens this week, a sister and brother. I have bought all the required stuff, bed, food, bowls etc. I also bought a book and read some info on the internet but still dont feel like i have any idea what im doing.
The day i got them home i noticed they had fleas (saturated with them...) so I called the vet and they gave me some great advice, I got a friend to pick up some stuff on her way over to put on the back of their necks, the fleas went within an hour, brilliant. But since then I have been cleaning up poop from all over the house, last night one or both of them peed on my bed. It stank.. so i have spent the last day or so keeping them confined to the kitchen hoping they would realise where the litter tray is. Is this the right thing to do? Also, I could do with some advice and prices on jabs for them both. They are supposedly around 8 weeks old and have had no jabs at all yet. I know they cant go outside yet, but when? Is it worth neuturing them both or just the female? And what about microchipping? How much is that and do you advise it?
I'm sorry about the mass of questions but I really need some help.
Thanks xx

beautifulgirls Sun 29-Jul-07 22:18:23

Try getting other types of cat litter for the tray - some cats are fussy - woodchip vs gravelly type stuff or sometimes some good old earth from the garden as a last resort. Also some of them prefer enclosed hooded litter trays, others open ones - shallow or deep?! So many choices. Keep showing them where the tray is, maybe move it to another spot where they have "had accidents" so perhaps you know they feel safe it that place too. Usually it is a natural instinct to use it.

Vaccines - Cat flu and enteritis vaccines as a minimum, but also recommended feline leukaemia as well. You'll need to call local vets for their prices. Usually done at 9 and 12 weeks old, but again check each practices recommendations. Usually shouldn't go out for about 10 days after the second vaccine - but then beware of the girl getting pregnant too!

Worming - yes and flea treatments too. Best got from your vet to be sure they are safe and effective.

Neuter them both - Tom cats (boys) are much more liable to wander if not neutered and have wider territories than un-neutered - hence more fight potential, more roads to cross etc. Females - well the obvious no kitten requirements!

Microchips can be had for about £20 but again check with the vets - often best done at time of neutering but possible to do before that.

Final advice - get pet insurance.

Enjoy them ;-)

flyingfairy Mon 30-Jul-07 22:11:48

Thanks for your advice, I will try it. Anyone else? x

KITTENSOCKS Tue 31-Jul-07 15:12:26

Agree with Beautifulgirls. In addition, subscribe to Your Cat magazine, really useful articles, and you can email questions to their experts.
Embark on a housetraining regime. Limit the kittens to one room if you can to minimise the mess. Wash every surface where they've soiled with biological washing solution to remove residual smell, or they will keep returning to that spot. Pets at Home also do a squirty bottle cleaner Simple Solution Cat Stain and Odor Remover which contains enzymes to digest the stains.
Keep putting the kittens on the tray-eventually one will do something and you can stroke and praise them. Watch carefully for a kitten scratching the floor or squatting in corners, and place immediately on the tray. To make the tray smell desirable, put a bit of kitchen roll soaked in their urine into the tray, possibly after mopping up an accident! I like Bio Catolet litter which is made from pelleted newspaper, not as hard on the paws as sawdust pellets. It sounds as if their mother didn't litter train them very well herself which happens sometimes. Have litter trays in various locations around the house, empty soiled patches of litter frequently, as some cats won't use an already soiled tray. Wash the trays with water only, as strong smelling cleaners will also put them off.
My vet does neutering when the cat reaches 2 kilos in weight, approx. 5-6 months old. Some vets offer discounts for 2 pets, and loyalty schemes where you can pay monthly direct debit and it covers the years vaccinations, flea and worm treatments and regular health checks. Spreads the cost over the year, and get discounts on food and medication.
Cats Protection advise only letting cats out after they've been neutered, but you can let them out after their vaccinations. We took our kitten out on a kitten harness and lead as we have a big cat population locally, so she could get used to our garden without disappearing and getting bullied or injured. It paid off, she goes around the locality but always comes home.
It is recommended that cats stay in at night for their own safety, but this is entirely your choice. You can get reflective collars.
Hope all this is useful.

flyingfairy Tue 31-Jul-07 18:09:40

Hey thats wonderful thankyou so much for your advice. I really should have thought of all this first hand but i didnt realise it would be so hard. Will try those things though thankyou xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now