Talk

Advanced search

Keeping cat in when you've moved

(13 Posts)
roseblush Sat 13-Jul-19 22:58:45

Does everyone wait 4-6 weeks?
My cat loves being outside and keeping her in for 4 weeks feels like so long. My step dad was saying he sprinkled his cats used litter in the garden when he moved and ket them out straight away.

MustardScreams Sat 13-Jul-19 23:00:30

Well if you would like to lose your cat or cause undue stress due to not knowing the area or the other cats living near by then feel free to let them out immediately.

However, if you’re a responsible pet owner you’ll follow guidelines because that is what is best for the animals within your care.

Is your cat spayed & microchipped and do you have insurance?

Pipandmum Sat 13-Jul-19 23:01:33

Couple weeks has been fine for all the times I’ve moved.

roseblush Sat 13-Jul-19 23:18:49

@MustardScreams yes to all three and love my cat like a second child so definitely don't want to lose her. Just asking for other people's experiences.

roseblush Sat 13-Jul-19 23:19:14

Thanks @Pipandmum

RottnestFerry Sat 13-Jul-19 23:31:22

It depends on the cat.

When I moved I tried to keep my cat in for the recommended two weeks. He was so desperate to get outside he tried climbing up the chimney at one point. It didn't even last 12 hours because he escaped through the loo window upstairs. He was absolutely fine.

After that we used to take him camping with us and he was perfectly happy and never a problem.

roseblush Sun 14-Jul-19 21:20:11

I didn't realise it was 2 weeks @RottnestFerry I don't know where I got 4-6 weeks. So far dcat has shown interest in slightly open windows and asked to go out once.

Contraceptionismyfriend Sun 14-Jul-19 21:22:27

We let our rescue out after a few weeks as he was attempting to launch himself out of any upstairs window and was almost causing himself harm in his attempts to escape.
First few days he didn't leave the back garden. He just wanted to be outside.

Bookworm4 Sun 14-Jul-19 21:23:40

Get him a harness and lead for a wander in garden 😉

Ohwhataballsup Sun 14-Jul-19 21:25:22

Ignore Dcat, mine have always got used to it after a sulk.

If anything went wrong, I would always know I did what I could.

I actually walked ours round our new garden with a cat harness & lead on blush after the 2 weeks. Then I think I put them in their carriers and sat outside with them for two evenings at the end of 2 weeks, just so they could smell the air & get used to it.

We had moved from a town to a very rural cottage, so the fresh air wafted across the fields and we were surrounded by cows grin

It worked anyway. They were very calm.

HardAsSnails Sun 14-Jul-19 21:30:47

I've always done 2 weeks, except last cat who managed to escape a high walled courtyard within a few days of being here, so we didn't bother keeping her in after that.

roseblush Sun 14-Jul-19 21:52:32

I spoke too soon. DH left a window open too far and dcat got out onto front flat roof bit. She was very obedient and came in when I went up there. Hopefully that little taster will get her through the next 13 days.

Poppins2016 Sun 14-Jul-19 22:01:46

2 weeks is the standard recommendation.

I always keep mine in for 4 weeks as I'm cautious/anxious! I then let them out for the first time at a weekend so that I'm at home and can spend time with them in the garden (my cats tend to stay close by if I'm in the garden).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »