Talk

Advanced search

Need advice on what to do with my remaining bun

(6 Posts)
Moses92 Mon 17-Jun-19 09:18:43

Hello, I am in desperate need of advice! I adopted 2 male rabbits last year (very well bonded, inseparable). I came home on Saturday and one of them had sadly passed away in his hutch even though he had been hopping round the garden that morning sad my other bin would have had a good few hours to process that his friend was dead, I took my bun to be cremated.
At first the remaining bun seemed OK, eating and drinking fine etc. However he is now withdrawn, he spent all day yesterday sat in the hutch in the same place even though the door to the garden was open, lots of veg/hay for him and he normally loves the garden. I don't think he is drinking much water. I sat with him for a while to give him some company but I am 38 weeks pregnant so was v uncomfortable. My dilemma is I am not in a place to bond him with another bun, I am going to drop any day then will have a newborn baby (FTM) I don't have another hutch and I don't have the genuine time to make sure I do it properly. I don't want to rehome him sad does anyone know what else I can do? Or whether buns normally get better a few days after a loss?

bunnygeek Mon 17-Jun-19 14:54:12

Has your remaining bun had a full vet check? Were they both fully vaccinated (presuming you're in the UK)? That would be the first thing to do to make sure it is just him mourning that's caused his behaviour change and not an underlying health problem.

Do you have any rescues nearby who can do all the bonding business for you so you don't have to faff around with extra hutches and a newborn?

Moses92 Tue 18-Jun-19 00:01:56

Hi @bunnygeek thanks for your reply. Vacs up to date and is booked in to see vet this week. Eyes are clear, droppings are normal etc. I don't suspect any illness in him, and he is a good weight. He has been even more withdrawn today, I put him in the garden this morning and sat with him for a long time then he went back inside the hutch and has barely moved. There is a local rescue but I wasn't aware they would do something like that for me? It's breaking my heart watching him 😔

Gruzinkerbell1 Tue 18-Jun-19 00:07:58

Whereabouts are you? I know of a rescue in the NE that definitely will take your bun for however long is necessary to bond it and then return both bunnies to you. It’s definitely worth asking your local bunny rescues to see if anyone can help.

So sorry for your loss, I hope your remaining bun is back to normal soon.

Moses92 Tue 18-Jun-19 06:40:32

@Gruzinkerbell1 I am Midlands based Worcester area. Will definitely ask the local rescue if they do this. Thank you

Spongeb0b Sun 23-Jun-19 08:30:50

Hi OP, wondering how you got on with this? The exact same thing has just happened with our adopted buns and our remaining one died 2 days later despite a visit to the emergency vets. We are absolutely devastated. I'm hoping that you had a happier outcome

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »