Talk

Advanced search

please help me choose a pet

(7 Posts)
Stormyisland Tue 11-Jun-19 16:42:47

We've already got hens and gerbils but me and the kids (aged 9, 6 and 3) would love something more cuddly that loves to play with the kids (and me). DH hates dogs and doesn't want a cat because it would eat the wild birds. We've thought about a chinchilla (DH worries they live too long), bunny (might be bitey with the youngest) etc. DH would rather have something that lives outside. We have an acres paddock but it gets quite wet in the winter. I'd like ponies but he says it's too wet. Donkey would apparently be too noisy, an alpaca too grumpy.. any ideas or advice?

sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 11-Jun-19 17:50:13

a hedgehog? maybe a pygmy one? if you do go for a hedgehog, they prefer to live on their own and be sure to ask the breeder what temperament they have (some like cuddles, sitting on your lap etc, some prefer to be left alone)

or maybe a sugar glider?

CharminglyGawky Tue 11-Jun-19 17:56:54

Rats are meant to be incredible companions. Rabbits can be very fulfilling if you give them the space they need (more than you'd think) and let them come to you.

With a paddock tough I'd be getting goats. I bloody love goats, they can be little bastards but so full of character! I used to know one that would follow you around if you had a wheelbarrow and would tip it over if you looked away for a second. You'd need to do some research as I think they are classed as livestock not pets so there might be some extra rules and regs, especially about transporting them.

pinkmagic1 Tue 11-Jun-19 17:59:22

What about a couple of goats?

Walney Wed 12-Jun-19 12:06:44

Seconding rats. They are absolutely lovely and very playful and intelligent.

If I had a paddock i'd love goats but have no experience of them.

Stormyisland Wed 12-Jun-19 12:27:27

Thanks everyone. I had never thought of rats. That's a great idea. And pygmy goats were the main ones we were considering anyway. Will probably go ahead with that once I find a suitable shed/hutch for them to live in

catinboots99 Wed 12-Jun-19 12:30:14

Pygmy goats can be a nightmare I warn you. My friend's ones used to escape all the time. One of them even used to climb up a drainpipe and walk around on her (bungalow) roof!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »