Talk

Advanced search

DOG LOVERS UNITE. Please sign this petition endorsed by DOGS TRUST

(45 Posts)
winestein Sat 21-Jul-07 22:17:03

Cut and paste from my email:

Urgent News from Dogs Trust.
Dublin City Council has recently banned 11 breeds of dog (including Rottweilers, Bull Terriers and German Shepherds) from all their properties, including houses, flats and estates. Existing tenants are being given a chance to rehome their animals, but if alternative accommodation can't be found, then the dogs will be destroyed. It also seems likely that these breeds will be banned from public parks - which means dog owners living in private accommodation will also be affected.
A petition to reverse the decision has been organised by Irish lobbying group ANVIL (Animals Need a Voice in Legislation). So please sign the petition today by clicking this petition here

and please pass this email onto everyone you know who cares about dogs.
To find out more about this injustice, you can visit our DoggySnaps forum here.
As we all know, it's a small minority of irresponsible owners that give breeds a bad name - to punish an entire breed and all its owners is simply ridiculous. We are urging Dublin City Council to punish "deeds not breeds."
Whilst you may not live in Ireland, breed-specific legislation is becoming more commonplace all over the world, so please help us to send a signal to legislators everywhere that dog lovers will unite to oppose ill-informed, cruel laws which punish innocent dogs and their owners.
On behalf of everyone at ANVIL and Dogs Trust, thank you for your invaluable support.
Your friends at Dogs Trust.
Dogs Trust is the UK's largest dog welfare charity. Visit us at www.dogstrust.org.uk.
DoggySnaps is the online dog community website run by Dogs Trust. To find out more, visit www.doggysnaps.com.

Dogs Trust is a registered Charity
If you no longer wish to receive any emails from Dogs Trust please click here

winestein Sun 22-Jul-07 18:54:38

bump for any dog lovers around tonight

pipsqueeke Sun 22-Jul-07 18:56:01

done, I have 2 of those breeds.

winestein Sun 22-Jul-07 18:58:28

Cheers Pip
There are 11 breeds in total. I don't know what the other 8 are?

DeadPersonalHouseElf Sun 22-Jul-07 18:58:55

Done as I have have owned all three breeds mentioned at some stage of my life.

lilysmum2007 Sun 22-Jul-07 23:08:05

why dont people understand that for every vicious dog in a breed there are 1000 loving family pets. i have a jack russel (not quite the reputation of a rotty but not far off) and people cross the road when they see us coming. how can they even consider putting loving family pets to sleep!!? why not just let existing pets stay until they die of natural causes and then no more?

lilysmum2007 Sun 22-Jul-07 23:10:08

other breeds are pit bull, akita, english bull terrier, staffy, tosa( i think) not sure of rest

ratclare Mon 23-Jul-07 07:37:54

pit bulls are under the dangerous dogs act anyway arnt they ?

jo25 Mon 23-Jul-07 08:13:24

done and emailed on to others.

FloriaTosca Mon 23-Jul-07 08:32:29

Done through "our dogs" website on Friday.
Other breeds included as well as Rotties and Alsatians etc are Dobermanns (I used to own 4 over 20 years and they never so much as raised a lip at anyone or anything)Bull Mastiffs, Staffies and Rhodesian Ridgebacks..along with rare breeds like tosas and banndogs...and any cross of these breeds..which just about covers every cross breed on any council estate anywhere !
We all know it isnt the breed it is the owner (I teach obedience and I've met vicious bloodhounds and poodles before now! and dont get me started on some of the idiots who own dogs from the terrier/terrorist group!) and so when it proved ineffective this law will just pave the way for a ban on ALL dogs in that city...and if they get away with it there other city councils will follow suit throughout GB.

FloriaTosca Mon 23-Jul-07 08:33:59

oops sorry; "when it IS proved ineffective"

Nbg Mon 23-Jul-07 08:38:23

Done and will send onto family.

winestein Mon 23-Jul-07 09:23:53

Lol at the terrier terrorists I might use that!!
(Have a look at my profile pictures)

You're all brilliant! Keep on signing!

Nbg Mon 23-Jul-07 09:25:20

awww

He's a chunky monkey isnt he!

winestein Mon 23-Jul-07 09:30:18

<Ahem> he used to much much bigger than that. He was slim jim up snowdon and then long term steroid use took its toll and he reached a massive 33 kilos before I managed to get it under control

magnolia1 Mon 23-Jul-07 09:34:50

I have one of the breeds to and would be distraught if this happened here

Radley Mon 23-Jul-07 09:34:54

I don't have a dog but, if I were to ever get one, it would be a german shepherd, I also have experience of staffys, and rottweilers.

I've signed and sent it to friends who have rottys and staffys.

Nbg Mon 23-Jul-07 09:36:40

WOW 33k!!!

We have a Beagle and he was 25k last year and mahooosive! Got him down now.

Whats he on steroids for if you dont mind me asking?
It just ours looks like he will have to have them for life due to an allergy. Interesting to know it makes them put on weight.

Roskva Mon 23-Jul-07 09:42:45

signed

winestein Mon 23-Jul-07 09:51:55

He has lumbar sacral disease - I have managed to get him off them now though and onto anti flim-flams and accupuncture What is your dog allergic to?

Can I give you a tip on the steroids, on the offchance you don't know.... Never ever run out of them. I nearly killed my dog when he missed 2 days dose (1 day he'd had an op, 1 day of my stupidity)

winestein Mon 23-Jul-07 09:54:08

PS Said Staffoo is now down to 27k which is 2k over his normal weight (he is a very big dog and I used to get accused of him being a pit bull. Until I pointed out his legs were about 6" long )

Nbg Mon 23-Jul-07 09:59:38

We dont know what he's allergic to.
We just took him for his boosters last week and the vet asked straight away if he licked he paws excessivley. Well he does and always has.

Anyway it turned our he has a heavy yeast infection in his ears and there is something he is allergic to which is causing him to lick so much.

Vet says its a very long winded process to find out exactly what it is but hes been on steroids for the last few days and he's not licked his paws at all!

peanutbear Mon 23-Jul-07 10:01:27

Done

peanutbear Mon 23-Jul-07 10:03:27

P.S just looked at your photos scary looking dog you got there !!!! LOL

He's lovely isnt he

magnolia1 Mon 23-Jul-07 10:17:13

Awwwww winestein he's gorgeous

<<magnolia1 goes off to try put pics on her profile>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now