Talk

Advanced search

Dog's hair is looking decidedly "dull and lifeless"...

(11 Posts)
Tigana Mon 16-Jul-07 13:53:29

What can I do (easy and cheap ) to get him all shiny?

he is 10 years old.
Loss of condition not associated with an illness.
I will not be doing hours of grooming, shampooing, conditioner-ing and blow drying...

RuthChan Mon 16-Jul-07 14:30:40

Have you ever tried giving him codliver oil?
It may sound crazy, but it does wonders for pets' fur, both cats and dogs.
He'll probably eat the tablets quite happily in his dinner and the human ones are fine. One or two a week should be enough.

Fangzooki Mon 16-Jul-07 14:53:40

Just add a dollop of oil to his food -olive/veg whatever. Do it every day. Works wonders.
There are many expensive supplements that you can buy for this, but essentially do the same thing.

Tigana Mon 16-Jul-07 14:57:14

ooooh...I think I can stretch to dollop of oil in food

Thanks!

Speccy Mon 16-Jul-07 17:52:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenofBleach Mon 16-Jul-07 17:59:00

My mother swears by oil or an egg

LittleB Tue 17-Jul-07 11:22:29

Oily fish is great too, my old collie x has a tin of pilchards or sardines once a week, she loves them. I also put the sunflower oil from any tuna we eat over her food. Her coat has got a bit duller over the last year though, but I think this is age related, she's 15 and has aged alot over the last few months.

Tigana Tue 17-Jul-07 11:25:08

He is a border collie.
Had lots of long hair until we gave him a chop in the hot weather and to get rid of some tangles.

beautifulgirls Tue 17-Jul-07 17:37:55

Evening primrose oil is safer than fish oils as fish oils can carry toxins such as mercury. 500mg or thereabouts of evening primrose for each 10kg boy weight - so you are looking 2-3 capsules probably for a border collie of the standard 500mg capsules. Takes a good 6 weeks to see the benefits. Easiest to give them by piercing the capsule with a pin and squeezing the oil out onto food.

beautifulgirls Tue 17-Jul-07 17:38:26

Boy weight - make that body weight!!

GoodGollyMissMolly Wed 18-Jul-07 15:21:27

A couple of sprays of olive oil (that one cal stuff) in the dog bowl before you put the dogs food in it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: