Advanced search

would like some horsey advice please

(27 Posts)
Unchief Sat 14-Jul-07 19:54:13

Message withdrawn

Unchief Sat 14-Jul-07 21:58:57

Message withdrawn

Piffle Sat 14-Jul-07 22:06:50

Round here shoes are £40 every 6 wks, but that's optimistic as ours are throwing shoes every 4 wks atm.
Def will need at the very least hay depending on snow/ice size of paddock/amount of other grazers... grazing round here is £25 per mth and we are expected to help pick up poo fortnightly.
And he will need full covering in the winter which means at least daily checking.

Unchief Sat 14-Jul-07 22:10:59

Message withdrawn

Piffle Sat 14-Jul-07 22:13:30

also need to think of insurance and so forth...
might it be worth leasing or loaning a horse?
is the field near a house where people see it? Near a main Rd?
Lots to think about

Unchief Sat 14-Jul-07 22:16:47

Message withdrawn

Piffle Sat 14-Jul-07 22:26:10

it varies wildly, it cost us about £25 pcm for our filly foal

Unchief Sat 14-Jul-07 22:30:18

Message withdrawn

Piffle Sat 14-Jul-07 22:31:34

for somethings and not others, you get diff types depending on your horse etc
The folks at the insurance will help you as they do a questionnaite, you living close will be huge bonus

Unchief Sat 14-Jul-07 22:44:26

Message withdrawn

Fangzooki Sun 15-Jul-07 00:19:20

Unchief - as far as money and horses go - just save as much as you possibly can! There's always something....
Hi Piffle - you live in a good area for shoeing - it's more like £60-£70 for a set round here. Having your horse barefoot would save money - if you have support from your farrier, or maybe just shod in front?
A cobby type is likely to be a 'good doer' so grass and hay would probably be plenty food wise. Could be that you'll have more problems keeping the weight off rather than not enough food at certain times of year.

A field shelter and rugs if needed should be fine during the winter - far more healthy than being cooped up in a stable for 22hrs a day imho!
Purchase cost - is a bit like how long is a peice of string - depends on age/training/breeding etc. Have browse through Horse and Hound classifieds section to get a feel for what you get for your money - but skip the first few pages - far too scary!
Then factor in tack/rugs/kit for setup costs, plus wormers, and yearly vaccinations.

Is good to do your homework first, but it is worth it!

amateurarsedoctor Sun 15-Jul-07 17:16:07

3 horses on 3/4 of an acre is not going to work. It's way too small.

Unchief Sun 15-Jul-07 17:20:01

Message withdrawn

amateurarsedoctor Sun 15-Jul-07 17:25:51

You really want a minimum of an acre per horse, preferrably 2 acres, to prevent overgrazing and poaching in winter. You'll need an awful lot of suplemental feeding all year round in such a small area.

Ellbell Sun 15-Jul-07 17:29:49

Am guessing that with that size field you'd need to be prepared to pick up poo regularly(even if rotated on a weekly basis) or it'll become worm infested. But I could be wrong, as I'm like you - I've only ever loaned, never owned my own. Would be worth an hour's poo-picking, though, to have it so close.

Ellbell Sun 15-Jul-07 17:30:40

LOL aad... I misread your posting name as 'amateurHORSEdoctor'!

Unchief Sun 15-Jul-07 17:39:20

Message withdrawn

amateurarsedoctor Sun 15-Jul-07 19:50:00

Sadly not Ellbell. Although I have far more experience with horses than arse doctoring.

Pixel Sun 15-Jul-07 23:58:54

Piffle I am . We have to pay over £90 for one set of shoes for a 14hh pony and a trim for a shetland, Plus the rent on our field is £65 per month per pony.
Unchief, I think you had better ask around your local area as well as on here for prices as they obviously vary wildly depending on where you live. Good luck with getting your horse though. You will be poor, but happy! .

MummyWilliams Mon 16-Jul-07 04:40:35

I live nr. Cambridge. Lady in my village says she pays £7 per foot for a trim, and roughly £45 for full set of shoes.

I too am looking at buying my first horse, have been for a couple of months now. I have organised for a trainer, who is also a behaviourist to come and visit on any try out I organise, she charges £45 for this. Once you decide on the pony/horse you intend to buy, you will have to organise vetting this can vary in price depending on area etc. but roughly £180 to £250 for 5 stage vetting.

Also once you have your pony/horse you will need a decent saddle and other tack/rugs etc. The other thing to consider is the age of the pony/horse you intend to buy, if a youngster i.e. anything under 8 years or so, will probably need some form of schooling, so this is an additional cost at roughly £10-£15 per lesson.

Good luck in your search.

Loshad Mon 16-Jul-07 16:00:14

just seen this - dss' are on hols so v. limited access to computer
I pay about £80 for a set of shoes and a trim (ie for 1 horse and 1 pony). Insurance is about £30/month - you still need a vets bills contingency fund as bilss often below insurance excess. vaccs are about £100/yr. have my own land but still spend about £250/year on hay and ?? on straw/shavings.
Hard feed varies depending on what you intend to do, and sort of horse you buy -but would factor in at least another £10/month for that, and nearly same again for vittamins/other supplements. If horse is to live out all year you will need at least 2 new zealand rugs. Cheap ones are not imo worth the money so at least £150 each - hopefully the horses you are sharing with won't rip them would allow around £20 per week for the field livery charges (in that i know of folk paying £15, adn some paying £20-25)

funkimummy Mon 16-Jul-07 16:10:10

Depending on where you live, rent will be updwards of £20 on a yard. Yes horses do need feed as well as grass and hay as you may find that wherever you decide to keep your horse doesn't operate a winter turn-out for horses.

A set of shoes can cost from £50. My sister - the truly horsey one, is away so I can't check on when she gets ours done. I think it's every 4-6 weeks.
Dentist bills for teeth rasping, again roughly £40-£50
Worming bills - your yard or stables will make all horses be wormed on a regular basis. Approx every 3 months.
Horse insurance approx £30 a month.

We've had horses for years, and although I don't ride now, the rest of the family does and complain rather a lot at how expensive it is to keep a horse!

Eve Mon 16-Jul-07 16:21:33

safe cobby horse, they go at a premium.. expect about £4 - £5k if you go to a dealer.

http://www.safecobs.com/index.htm

You need to budget for

feed, shoes, land rent, water, rugs, new tack , insurance, teeth, worming , vaccinations

medicine stuff - like fly repellant etc

Then if you want to go anywhere for lessons, competitions, you need a vehicle to tow, trailer, riding lcub membership, lessons etc.

An acre is too small for 3 horses, rule of thumb is 1 acre per horse. Also introducing a new horse into an established field/herd is very risky, should only do it with the new horse fenced of from the others for quite a while.

TiredFedUpNanny Sat 28-Jul-07 15:18:33

If he lives out and is cobby, you only need to feed hay and if your grass is poor in winter - lots of hay! Shoes here are 55 every 6 weeks with road studs. Food for a cob would most likely be bag of hifi light, bag of nuts, some garlic and some carrots, from late sept (feeding little and increasing in deep winter), through to late april. I spend 15 per horse on feed during winter months.

TiredFedUpNanny Sat 28-Jul-07 15:19:07

You need an acre per horse as a rule of thumb. We keep two of ours in a 3 acre paddock and then the other one shares with a load of others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now