Talk

Advanced search

New house cat..advice please!

(10 Posts)
LittleMissHappy19 Sun 14-Apr-19 12:56:34

Hello to fellow cat lovers!

We have recently adopted a cat from the RSPCA for my Grandfather. She is 2 years old, and is solely a house cat. My Grandfather lives in an apartment, so she is obviously going to stay as a house cat.

We have never had house cats, our cats are outdoor cats, so do their business outside smile

Can anybody give me any advice, on the best litter trays and cat litter you use for your house cats?

Any other advice on any amazing house cat gadgets/ toys etc you have for your beautiful cats, would be much appreciated!

Thank you smile

Toddlerteaplease Tue 07-May-19 11:16:37

I use intersand classic for my house Persians. It really cuts down smells.

Csleeptime Tue 07-May-19 11:26:33

You'll probably want a good day food with high meat content as they can't catch anything, we use orijen, expensive but worth it, also makes them less smelly than something like whiskers.

We use a tray with a flap on the door for litter and use pine wood pellets as these make no dust and cover the smell.

Perhaps a big cat tree would be useful as they can climb it and use it for their claws, also good for sleeping on, ours was very popular!

Dippypippy1980 Sat 18-May-19 23:45:26

A covered litter tray is best to control smells. Good quality food is essential.

She will get bored indoors, so as pp has said a big cat tree would be great and plenty of toys - laser pen, ping pong balls, fishing rod type toys.

And remin your grandpa not to leave windows open😻

pearldeodorant Sat 18-May-19 23:53:13

Definitely a hooded/ covered litter tray. Our house cats love ours but don't like the flap so you might need to take it off.

Toys I'd say the best thing is to mix them up and buy lots of varied ones. We rotate ours every few weeks but a firm favourite is the laser pen!

As ours have got older they need fewer toys though. They love cardboard boxes and paper bags (pleeeease cut through the handles first so they don't strangle themselves though- ours did for a second and it was frightening!)

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Sun 19-May-19 14:13:34

My sister swears by litter that is made from maize/corn cobs. It clumps around the used patch so easily removed quickly entire and no smells. PLUS, you can flush the "clump" down the toilet with no problems or put it in the compost bin.

KatherineJaneway Sun 19-May-19 14:22:17

Does he have money? If so an electronic cat litter machine is well worth it.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Sun 19-May-19 14:28:31

My mother in law has 6 indoor cats and uses and electric robot cat litter tray it's amazing they all line up to use it! Expensive though but deffo worth it

GiantKitten Sun 19-May-19 14:34:34

Yes, to minimise smells you want a covered litter tray & the plant fibre litter - Oko Plus - it’s expensive upfront but works well, is unscented & absorbs odours, & one fill lasts a long time. Also it’s flushable (poos & broken up clumps of wee).

My cats eat Felix pouches & don’t generally have smelly poo so expensive food isn’t the only way. Felix is actually mostly meat, but it’s scraps (by-products), not steak.

Zooplus is a great source for all cat requirements btw smile - litter trays, beds, scratch posts, toys etc as well as litter & food. IME cats prefer a jumbo-sized litter tray if there is space for it - we have 2 standard & 1 jumbo, & all 3 cats prefer the jumbo, even the tiny one.

GiantKitten Sun 19-May-19 14:44:51

Get the tallest scratch post you can find as they like to streeeeeeetch up it (or even shin up it in some cases!)

Also cat trees are very popular, the taller the better. They like to sit & sleep at the top (good for looking out of windows).

This one’s sturdy & a good height, & the scratching post parts go straight up so you wouldn’t need a separate post as well - again quite expensive, but worth it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »