Talk

Advanced search

I wish my cat wouldn't keep trying to scratch my son

(5 Posts)
paul2louise Tue 09-Apr-19 22:54:04

My cat is 14. My son is 8. She is a tortie with a bit of attitude. She doesn't waft any adults but she insists of wafting/scratching my son when he walks past her. He is nervous of her and I suppose she is nervous of him. I try to get them to bond by sitting with them both and letting him stroke her. I suggested that he puts her food down on the floor. He won't walk into the room if she is in the doorway. But he past her tonight and she swiped at him again. I know he was probably an annoying toddler but he is a big 8 year old boy now. Can anyone suggest what I or he can do.

dementedpixie Tue 09-Apr-19 22:56:09

Can he give treats rather than try to pet her? And give him something to distract her with if walking past e.g. ribbon or a toy on a string. Deflects the attention from him to the toy

Woolly17 Tue 09-Apr-19 23:21:42

Hi
I vote for the toy idea - playing with her is probably a better distraction than food.
Is there anything she particularly likes playing with? If she starts to associate him with something fun happening then she may stop feeling like he's encroaching on her territory.

Woolly17 Tue 09-Apr-19 23:21:42

Hi
I vote for the toy idea - playing with her is probably a better distraction than food.
Is there anything she particularly likes playing with? If she starts to associate him with something fun happening then she may stop feeling like he's encroaching on her territory.

paul2louise Thu 11-Apr-19 19:42:39

I will try that. Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: