Talk

Advanced search

How do you get rid of fleas?

(14 Posts)
screamifyouwant Sun 07-Apr-19 09:22:02

Seriously it's never ending.
I have a spray for my cat that she hates a flea collar but she keeps getting them .
Then I need to get rid of them in the house . I used 1 of those flea bombs but still fleas it's driving me mad .
I feel really unclean but I'm honestly so house proud I've washed all cushions and hoovered. What can I do ?
How do others get rid and stay away ?

mando12345 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:25:15

Get some programme tablets from the vet.
You could also get some spray for the house, but when we had fleas once the programme tablets and rigorous vacuuming sorted very quickly.

DaedricLordSlayer Sun 07-Apr-19 09:31:11

Sorry but cat fleas are worst to get rid of, some cats are more prone to them too.

go to vets and get your cat sorted there, and they can give you some stuff for the house, then keep up to date with the drops the vets prescribe.

ElizabethMainwaring Sun 07-Apr-19 09:38:04

Indorex spray for the house. Spot on treatment monthly for the cat. Get it from the vet, not otc.

ElizabethMainwaring Sun 07-Apr-19 09:41:09

And bin cats bedding and get new. In fact bin as much soft furnishings (cushions, throws etc) as you can bear. I've been there, it's hard work, my sympathies.

dementedpixie Sun 07-Apr-19 09:42:36

Vet strength treatment from the vet. Indorex for the house

screamifyouwant Sun 07-Apr-19 16:22:54

Thanks for the tips .

gamerchick Sun 07-Apr-19 16:27:43

The only place a flea collar has is inside he hoover bag, they can be dangerous for cats.

Advocate from the vet every 4 weeks for the cat and indorex for the house. It's cheaper online and follow the instructions carefully. It's dangerous to fish and what not so they will have to be covered up.

Hoover all nooks and crannies before using.

Don't spray it on the cat.

TheSandgroper Tue 16-Apr-19 14:31:16

Pennyroyal. Buy it dried, make some into a tea. We held DCat under the arms and squirted front and back (just the one each side) daily. Scatter more on the bed and wherever. Not good for pregnancy. Will bring flea numbers right down to allow other methods a chance to finish the job.

Wolfiefan Tue 16-Apr-19 14:35:33

Dear god don’t do that. A quick google suggest it is potentially dangerous when ingested or applied to the skin.
Indorex the house.
Monthly spot on from vet. Not frontline.

Confusedbeetle Tue 16-Apr-19 14:43:50

Indorex and drops from the vet. You need to be vigilant and put the cat drops on every few months, or monthly if they are out in the countryside or catch birds or mice. Keep at it. You can also get your house sprayed by the council environmental health

Knickersononeshead Tue 16-Apr-19 14:46:50

Pest control was the only thing that worked for us a few years ago. None of our pets had them, but the house was riddled when we moved in and after 3 years of tears and tantrums trying absolutely everything I gave up and paid for someone to come and spray the whole house.

LadyFlumpalot Tue 16-Apr-19 16:53:14

@TheSandgroper - please don't do that! As a PP said Pennyroyal is highly toxic. It is effective in killing fleas because it's pretty effective in killing everything!

YourSarcasmIsDripping Tue 16-Apr-19 17:00:26

You don't. You give up and reluctantly accept them as pets.sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »