Talk

Advanced search

Stroke/vestibular disease in dog

(2 Posts)
Thegirlisnotright Tue 02-Apr-19 10:14:09

My dog has been at the vet since yesterday with symptoms that point to a stroke/vestibular disease. She can’t stand up at all (no balance) leaning to one side, loss of control over bladder, very disoriented. Vets says it’s too early to say what will happen at the moment.
What should I expect? She had an episode like this about 18 months ago but recovered very quickly (within a couple of hours). She’s 12 and otherwise in good health apart from stiff back legs. Any insights appreciated...

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Thu 04-Apr-19 12:28:55

My dog has also has a recent bout of vestibular disease, she is 13. She is insured so I sent her for an MRI just in case but nothing unusual found.
She is now much better although still has a head tilt and is sometimes a bit off balance. It did take her a good month to improve. Hopefully your dog will regain her balance but it can take up to 6 weeks and the head tilt may remain. I was told that exercise helps them make a quicker recovery so started taking her on her normal walk once she wasn’t constantly falling over.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: