Talk

Advanced search

Puppy - costs / food etc

(18 Posts)
CarlGrimesMissingEye Thu 14-Mar-19 09:43:08

As a family we have decided that we would like a puppy to join our family. Our friend is aiming to breed from her dog at some point this year so we are waiting to see what happens there as I know they would be well cared for pups and I don't want to rush things.

I am a spreadsheet girl though and am trying to estimate the costs involved in adding a dog to our household. Money isn't a worry, I just like to know my figures and want to be realistic.

So far I have the following items as a list of things to account for, not including the upfront cost and neutering/chip if I'm required to do those myself. Is there anything else I should add to that?

MONTHLY DOG COSTS
Insurance
Health club (vet set up)
Food
Treats
Training
Grooming

OTHER DOG COSTS
Bed / bedding
Lead
Harness
Seatbelt
Crate
Toys

I am home everyday as I have my own home based business so don't need to factor in a waking service as I will be there. I also haven't factored in kennels etc as if we DO go on a holiday where a pup can't come (very rare) then I have family who would happily help.

I'm also looking at food. Raw feed seems to be a big thing at the moment but is that best? Where can I find some advice about making sure my dog is getting food that is best for their health? I had a dog growing up in the 90s but things were different then and he just got tinned food.

Thanks in advance for any help and pointing out any gaps in my knowledge!

twinkle68 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:58:02

You should budget for day care, boarding or kennels for when you want a family day out that is not dog friendly, or for holidays etc.

As for food - it all depends on your lifestyle and personal choice plus the dog itself as to which one to feed. There is a great website called all about dog food (google it) there is a dog food directory on there that rates most commerical dog foods (dry, wet, raw etc) based on the products ingredients. The top rating is a 5.0 anything over a 3.5 is good although I personally wouldn't feed anything under a 4.0.

Hope the above helps and good luck with the pup smile

CarlGrimesMissingEye Fri 15-Mar-19 10:09:32

Thanks so much @twinkle68 that's really useful. Good point about day boarding too. I have dog friendly neighbours who have offered help (don't have a dog anymore but are experienced and love then) but obviously I can't guarantee they'll always be available. I'll look into my local options

I'll definitely check that food website. Very handy tip

ButterMyBiscuit Fri 15-Mar-19 11:09:41

Voice of doom and gloom here - are you getting this puppy because it is the right breed for your lifestyle, or because it is available with minimal fuss. Is the bitch (and chosen stud) a good example of her type, with appropriate medical certification? Does your friend have the appropriate knowledge to select a good match (e.g. a complimentary stud dog, good conformation, medical history and pedigree) or is it just that she wants a litter and is selecting a random stud from gum tree?

This is a major decision: male sure the puppy comes from a knowledgeable breeder now to avoid heartache down the line

CarlGrimesMissingEye Fri 15-Mar-19 12:51:00

@ButterMyBiscuit not a problem,very sensible question and I completely get that it's worth raising with a newbie.

I am fortunate in that her dogs happen to be a breed I was already considering as suitable for us. I was asking her about the ins and outs of what they are actually like as family pets (cockapoo) and seeking advice in general as part of breed research when she mentioned that she was likely to be breeding from her girl.

In an ideal world I'd rescue but our local ones won't countenance it as they consider my children too young.

CarlGrimesMissingEye Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:06

Apologies should also say - she has done her homework and will have all suitable tests and health checks etc completed. I have confidence in her in large part because she's already talked me through what she looked for getting her dogs and it matches up with all the recommended checks I have found from research. If the certificates weren't available And I'm mistaken I would walk away and find a pup from another breeder. I'm not in a rush just want to do it right.

homemadegin Fri 15-Mar-19 12:58:57

Not sure what vet club includes but initial vaccination costs. Annual boosters.

Keep old towels for muddy walks. Poo bags, not hugely expensive but not on list. Dog wormer.

Probably get a few leads. Keep one in car etc.

CarlGrimesMissingEye Fri 15-Mar-19 13:14:58

Thanks @homemadegin

Poo bags and extra leads not thought of. Thanks!

My bet health club covers all vaccinations and boosters and regular worming which is good.

homemadegin Fri 15-Mar-19 13:22:02

No problem. Trying to feed DD and type with one finger.

Some costs depend on the dog. One of mine needs a coat, the others don't. I have metal crates and soft travel crate. Dog shampoo handy to keep in stock. Basic first aid kit. Tick remover depending on where you are. I have a dog walking or running belt which is handy to keep you hands free.

Eh, walking boots and a warm coat for yougrin.

Good check of garden for escape routes. I have a baby gate over kitchen for muddy days.

Then you want food and water bowls. Food storage containers to keep it fresh.

CarlGrimesMissingEye Fri 15-Mar-19 14:38:32

Excellent. I really appreciate that. I've forgotten so much in the last 15 years and so much has changed 😂. Luckily I have decent outdoor gear for me already.

Wolfiefan Fri 15-Mar-19 14:42:18

I would be avoiding such a popular cross breed entirely. I would never buy a pup from a person who was breeding from their pet. No need.
Choose an actual breed from a decent breeder or a rescue. Don’t encourage BYB.

Foxmuffin Fri 15-Mar-19 14:44:33

Cockapoos make great family pets and it’s lovely to see someone considering this so carefully and thoughfully.

I second the rate my dog food website. It’s no use feeding crap food full of E numbers that’s going to turn your pup into a monster.

I’d imagine cockapoos need grooming around every 6 weeks due to be part poodle. I pay around £25 for a full groom for a similar dog.

Most vets do a pay monthly scheme which includes all your worming, flea and vaccination stuff for a monthly fee. This is worth considering if you’re trying to budget.

Don’t forget puppy classes too. They really are invaluable. Having a well rounded pup is the best for your family.

Best of luck with your new pooch if you decide to go ahead.

CarlGrimesMissingEye Fri 15-Mar-19 14:57:00

@Foxmuffin thanks. I appreciate that. Glad to have a second thumbs up for the food website.

@Wolfiefan can I ask why you'd avoid the cockapoo and also a home breeder? I'm genuinely keen to know what concerns I should be looking for.

I was under the impression that they were pretty established as a solid cross and had been for years now? I'm more than happy to learn though and to do more reading if I'm missing something.

Wolfiefan Fri 15-Mar-19 16:18:11

So sorry. Went on the school run!
Someone with a really good example of a poodle or a cocker wouldn’t cross breed. There is no limit to how many litters they can breed and no real record (KC doesn’t register.) Most of them come from puppy farmers. Few have the proper health checks.
I am far from against cross breeds. They should be bred with knowledge and for a purpose. (Eg Guide Dogs.) What’s the reason for crossing these two breeds? What does the cocker or the poodle add to the other breed? And of course you don’t know what you will get. Some have more cocker features and some more poodles.
They are only established in that there are loads of them. That’s generally not a brilliant thing. People buy them as they’re cute but without any consideration of coat or training or exercise needs.
I would always buy a pedigree from a decent breeder or rescue.

CarlGrimesMissingEye Fri 15-Mar-19 16:28:10

Thanks for the thoughtful reply @Wolfiefan

I guess I'm drawn because of the fact that I like my friends dogs and find them to have a personality and nature that would fit with what I am looking for in a dog. Though I take what you say about not knowing which bits of which breed you would get.

I am going to give what you've said some bought and speak to my DH too. I may still end up going with a cockapoo but will certainly be thinking carefully about why.

Wolfiefan Fri 15-Mar-19 16:35:49

Unfortunately you will find it difficult to get such a dog from a reputable breeder.
A rescue one? Or why not a cocker. Or a poodle?

CarlGrimesMissingEye Fri 15-Mar-19 18:00:07

I'll do some more research into the individual pedigree breeds before making any decisions. Maybe you're right and as I say there's no rush. I want a healthy pup with a good start in life so happy to take advice on board. I do like cockers. I have another friend with one so can ask them about some of the details day to day.

Wolfiefan Fri 15-Mar-19 19:55:49

I like cockers too. If you do decide on a pedigree then I would go through the breed club to avoid puppy farmers. It’s so difficult.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »