Talk

Advanced search

Telling child pet going to be put down

(9 Posts)
purpleme12 Mon 04-Mar-19 23:27:33

How can I explain to my 5 year old it's kinder to put our pet down?
Will she understand?
I feel like it's such a huge thing
I mean we want to live life but then I'd be telling her we'd be deciding she'd die.,...

purpleme12 Thu 11-Apr-19 23:24:21

No one?

Wolfiefan Thu 11-Apr-19 23:26:42

I am so sorry OP. At that age I went for the approach that the vet would try and make her better but if they couldn’t then she would die.
It was easier that it was a cat we all knew was elderly.
The Blue Cross (I think it’s them) has good advice. Avoid PTS as it can confuse and upset children.
It’s horrid and you have my sympathy flowers

qazxc Thu 11-Apr-19 23:36:31

Don't say PTS.
When our cat had to be put down we told her that Molly was old, her body was very broken and the vet could fix her so she died.
We then answered questions as we went. DD was around 4. We haven't gone into the details of the vet putting the cat down.
We planted some flowers for Molly and let DD know that we were sad because we loved Molly and she wasn't here anymore so that she knew it was ok to be sad and talk about it.

rosydreams Fri 12-Apr-19 00:08:02

I wouldn't tell them that your putting the pet down per say i would first read them a story about death and then explain that the pet is very old.And her time to leave us is coming its a sad time but we will remember how much we loved them

www.amazon.co.uk/Badgers-Parting-Gifts-35th-Anniversary/dp/1849395144/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&crid=2ALJZHO3EP178&keywords=badgers+parting+gifts&sprefix=badgers%2Caps%2C141&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1555023771&sr=8-1

Hotterthanahotthing Fri 12-Apr-19 00:10:51

Tell them simply.Children can deal with it it is us adults that have more understanding,information and more good and bad experience of death that find it hard.

purpleme12 Fri 26-Apr-19 21:08:16

Thank you everyone.

So basically don't actually explain about putting down go for the angle that she died cos the vet couldn't make better.

I did wonder about taking her to the vets to say bye but then I thought no that wouldn't be the best thing.

purpleme12 Fri 26-Apr-19 21:09:11

I've actually got a tattered Badger's Parting Gifts from when I was little. I really love that book. Not read it to her yet

purpleme12 Tue 30-Apr-19 08:18:58

I've told her what will happen, that she will die. She doesn't seem bothered to be honest. Just said ok. I hope this is normal for children

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: