Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours boxer dog is literally ruining our lives-anyone know what i can do next ?

(24 Posts)
fakeblonde Wed 04-Jul-07 13:20:49

I came on here ages ago when this first started but we are back to square one.
New neighbours bought boxer puppy and are cage training it ?
Basically for 3 months i got no sleep.This dog whined barked and yelped most nights from midnight to 7 am.
I eventually plucked up the courage to go and speak with them.
As i was so exhuasted i ended up collapsing on their doorstep in floods of tears ! prob helped as they seemed to listen.
They said they sleep heavily and didn`t know he was barking.
Dont know nor do i care what they did, but it stopped for MOST of the time.Still barked all day while they at work, but all i asked for was quiet between midnight and 6 am.

He has now qualified as a policeman and works nights.
She will be away at uni Mon to Fri from Sept .
We had a glimpse of what life in Sept could be like last weekend as he was working and she was out all night.
This dog barked until 9am.
When i say i am exhuasted i cannot begin to describe how tired it makes me.
I dont sleep a wink but end up sitting downstairs crying with my heart racing now.
DD1 has started gcse work now and also she has epilepsy, so sleep is really important to her.So far this year she has had to have 4 days off school thro lack of sllep.
I am a midwife and its hard enough working with 3 kids as you know.It doesn`t take much to tip the boat !
My sickness record is fantastic but i also have had 4 days off sick thro pure exhuation.Its differrent to the tiredness of being up all night with your lo`s-this is just taking over my life.I get into bed at night and literally just wait for the first barks when they bu**er off to bed.
Is there any law i can think about using against this because i just cant take it any more.If i ring our local police in the night its HIM who i will be phoning !
All i want is quiet from 12-6am.I really dont know why they have this dog when neither of them is here to look after it !

I have tried the nice approach, and now i dont particularly care about offending them-i just want the dog to stop barking all night.

DUSTIN Wed 04-Jul-07 13:28:59

I feel for you. I don't understand why people have animals when they don't have the time for them. Have you tried contacting your local dog warden? They may be able to help.

Doodledootoo Wed 04-Jul-07 13:30:58

Message withdrawn

Speccy Wed 04-Jul-07 13:31:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pigleto Wed 04-Jul-07 13:32:16

you need environmental health. They deal with noise nuisance - ring the council now.

Doodledootoo Wed 04-Jul-07 13:32:22

Message withdrawn

MrsPuddleduck Wed 04-Jul-07 13:42:58

We had a similar problem with our neighbours at our old house (they are partly the reason why we moved).

They had a dog which they left in their conservatory (with the patio doors to the house locked) all day - from about 8.00am to 6.00pm.

Basically this dog barked on and off all day and drove me nuts. He was an alsatian so had a really ferocious bark as well. In fact he put off two potential buyers from purchasing our house because every time we opened our back door he started barking.

In the end I phoned environmental health at the borough council and they were really good. To start off with they just write them an official letter saying that there has been a complaint in the neighbourhood about the dog so they wont necessarily know its you who has complained.

In our case it only took the letter and all of a sudden they locked the dog up in the house all day. But I know the council will support you. I think that a good idea is to make a record in writing of how long and how often the dog barks as this will support any case you have.

Good luck. I know how it feels.

fakeblonde Wed 04-Jul-07 14:28:18

Doodle-thanks for that.So there IS something i can do.
Speccy-agree with you on the probation period bit.
Willhouse-i could never afford to move again so something has got to happen.Hopefully a letter from the council might make them do something.
Never thought to ring the council
Perhaps its worth going to speak with them again.
I know they leave it the cage most of the day because he has ruined and chewed everything in sight.
He then goes in again at night or whenever they are both out.
If i clench my teeth anymore my jaw will break !

Freckle Wed 04-Jul-07 14:33:06

You could also contact the RSPCA. If they are leaving the dog alone for such long periods, that could count as neglect - after all, it must need to pee at some point. Also cages are only meant to be used for relatively short periods of time, not as a general place for the dog to be kept.

Rhubarb Wed 04-Jul-07 14:35:00

How do your other neighbours feel about this? Why not go from door to door and ask them? Get some signatures to send to the council asking them to do something about the dog.

Speccy Wed 04-Jul-07 14:39:04

Doodledootoo Thu 05-Jul-07 09:47:15

Message withdrawn

fakeblonde Thu 05-Jul-07 10:52:23

Morning doodle-i feel refreshed and somewhat normal.Dog barked all night Tue and i got so mad i TEXTED them at 4am.I said would somone kindly come home to see to their dog as we were all downstairs drinking tea and that i wasn`t very happy.Got no response until about 10am when she texted back to say sorry had gone away and husband must have been on nights.Anyway heard nothing since.
Complete and utter silence.
I think i will go and actually ask them what their intentions are for sept as its really stressing me.
I will make it politely clear that if the dog keeps us awake again i will inform the authorities.
I am going to try and be firm but polite as i know it will continue.
Other neighbours have complained also .
The poor chap in the bungalow on the other side works nights so apparrently he complained that he was being kept awake all day.
Anyway-our neighbour is obviuosly on nights again as bedroom curtains are closed.I always keep the noise down when i know hes sleeping and i honestly wont, but am soooooooooo tempted to play some really loud music and invite all ds1`s little friend around to play !

ThomCat Thu 05-Jul-07 10:57:18

I can't believe these people have bought a dog and aren't there to look after it. How selfish of them. That poor dog And you say he's a policeman and she's at UNi! What's wrong with these people. I really feel for you and I really feel for that dog.

SueW Thu 05-Jul-07 11:00:04

I think it's really important to keep communication going rather than resorting to environmental health, CAB or getting a petition together.

Good luck.

Speccy Thu 05-Jul-07 11:03:59

worzsel Thu 05-Jul-07 16:19:18

We had a problem with a neighbours boxer barking all day constantly bacause they shut it in the garden and went to work, i work night and it was getting me down hearing it all the time so i phone the environmental health department of our local council who sent out some forms for me to keep a log of when it barked etc, I had to do that for 2 weeks and then send it back and they sent a letter out,almost immediatly it stopped barking and normality resumed.. that was last year though and we're now having the same problem again so i think i might just pop round and see them. The coucil said they have the option of giving people who continue to make a noise nuisence an ASBO and if the Man is a Police Officer he will not want that as he would lose his job. You could also consider phoning the station he works at every time the dog wakes you up and telling them to get him to come home and sort it out or ring them and tell them you think that next door is being burgled at the dogs been barking for hours.. see if thats gets his attention . personally i'd go and speak to them, tell them they have a week to rectify the problem then if it continues i'd call the council and the RSPCA. they are clearly neglecting the poor creature.

Remember it's them that are being unreasonable and not you, they sound like selfish idiots !

Doodledootoo Thu 05-Jul-07 17:56:49

Message withdrawn

salsmum Fri 13-Jul-07 12:21:19

Doodle sorry to get off subject slightly but could i have details of dog forunm it sounds like they have lots of tips .
Got Victoria Stillwell's book but rescue staffy ate most of it.
Obviously she felt make better eating than reading!. lol

mumblechum Fri 13-Jul-07 12:27:11

worzels idea of phoning him at work / reporting burlar(!) excellent!

We had this prob with dog over road and it shut up for a few weeks when we got the dog warden onto it but started again.

Eventually I wrote a diatribe to them and put it in their post box. They apologised and so far it's been pretty quiet, certainly not waking us up at 6am any more.

I used to lie awake at nights working out how to buy ratpoison, bait meat with it, get into their garden to poison it, "dognap" it, you name it.

It can really take over your life and make you lose your marbles!

AtHomeMum Fri 13-Jul-07 12:34:24

Poor you!

Another thought..

Find details of local dog walking service & give it to them - the dog needs exercise & if they aren't there they will have to pay someone to do it. It may then calm down & make less noise.

Also record the noise for them to hear - if they are away all the time they may not realise what it is like - the dog may be happy & quiet when they are home.

Doodledootoo Mon 16-Jul-07 20:05:42

Message withdrawn

Doodledootoo Mon 16-Jul-07 20:06:39

Message withdrawn

Doodledootoo Tue 17-Jul-07 18:21:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now