Talk

Advanced search

Cockapoo advice?

(69 Posts)
BB8sm8 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:10:48

We are looking at getting a cockapoo as a first family pet dog. We have a 5 and 7 year old. Im a SAHM so I’m around all the time. Does anyone have any advice or tips for this particular breed? 🐶❤️🐶

glenthebattleostrich Thu 07-Feb-19 09:13:22

As they are cross breeds you don't know what you getting.

They can be needy, have separation anxiety. They are generally quite bright and energetic, need lots of walking. I know lots of poos who are incredibly picky with food and you will never pee alone again.

Having said that, I adorey little ball of fluffy nuttiness!

BiteyShark Thu 07-Feb-19 09:15:02

I would look up the pros and cons of both breeds. You could end up with the 'worst' traits of both so make sure you could handle that (I have a cocker).

SoupDragon Thu 07-Feb-19 09:15:03

As they are cross breeds you don't know what you getting.

I agree. It would also depend on what poodle and what cocker spaniel.

I have a show cocker - he is totally bonkers and hyperactive.

SoupDragon Thu 07-Feb-19 09:16:15

Have you owned dogs before?

BB8sm8 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:17:50

Never pee alone again made me smile 😊 I know that feeling!! 🤣

The particular pup I’ve met has a cockapoo Mom, who was very calm and snuggly when I went to see them, and a miniature poodle Dad, who wasn’t there as he was bought in to stud.

anxiousbundle Thu 07-Feb-19 09:17:55

Cockapoo's aren't a breed. Don't support puppy farming (these 'designer' dogs are almost always puppy farmed).

Either get a cocker spaniel (lovely dogs, I have one- super intelligent and usually have great recall when trained well, but are also crazy things!) or a poodle (can't stand the thingsgrin).

Why is it you want a cockapoo? Is it just how they look? As a PP has said you never know how much of each breed is in it so you could get a hard to manage one.

BB8sm8 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:18:44

Sorry on I’ve never not owned a dog before, I am a dog walker but never had one in my house before.

BB8sm8 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:19:13

Sorry no not sorry on 🤣

SoupDragon Thu 07-Feb-19 09:21:22

What are your plans for the dog when you are on holiday/out for the day/away for the weekend?

BiteyShark Thu 07-Feb-19 09:22:15

Poodles are very intelligent dogs. Cockers are spaniels so along with the craziness and bounciness you could end up with one that is very nose driven (trust me once they get a scent they are off).

You do need to be prepared to provide lots of mental stimulation as well as physical. Whilst it's good that mum was calm, genetics does have a habit of throwing things into the mix and you could end up still with the 'bad/difficult' bits of both breeds.

What is it that is attracting you to buy a cockerpoo over a poodle or a cocker?

BB8sm8 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:23:06

I would never support puppy farming. The litter I have seen is from a family dog, it’s her first litter. Yes I like how they look and the temperament of the ones I’ve seen. I know of a few families local to me who have had them as a first family dog and they seem to be getting on well, that’s why I’m thinking a cockapoo.

BB8sm8 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:24:25

Sorry yes not moulting was another plus point, I read in my research that they drop less fur.

anxiousbundle Thu 07-Feb-19 09:26:47

@BiteyShark We combated the scent thing by not encouraging it- e.g when he looks like he's going to wander, distract with a squeaky ball/play.
Our trainer said you can counteract their natural urge to go sniffing by not acknowledging or training it.

So glad we didn't go gun dog training like we were going to do initially, I'm sure he'd have been lost to the hills more than a few times by now!

BiteyShark Thu 07-Feb-19 09:28:16

They may drop less fur depending on what generic mix you end up with. Again don't depend on that.

My understanding is that with breeds such a poodles whilst they shed less fur their grooming requirements are far higher than a cocker so make sure you have the time for that.

Btw my cocker is clipped short and we don't tend to have lots of hair in the house because of that and when he gets wet he dries very quickly.

anxiousbundle Thu 07-Feb-19 09:28:39

@BB8sm8 Our spaniel moults, it's slowed down now as he's nearly 1 but I think puppy moulting might be a thing regardless of type of dog so maybe prepare for a bit (a lot in our case!) of moulting between 10-12months of age.

BiteyShark Thu 07-Feb-19 09:32:35

anxiousbundle I work with his hunting instinct now as he is totally ball obsessed so he sticks like glue to me.

It was more a warning to potential new owners that if you get a dog with hunting instincts you need to be prepared for all that it entails (we were warned by a farmer so was fully prepared but even so it was hard work initially). The problem is that you can never just go for an amble in the forest and chat away because you need to keep an eye on them and work with them otherwise they are off if their natural urge is strong and with my dog it is (working breed).

reallyanotherone Thu 07-Feb-19 09:34:10

I would honestly steer clear of poos, doodles, or any other designer cross.

Firstly it is very, very likely it will be puppy farmed or back yard breeder breeding these crosses for money. No health checks, unlimited litters per bitch- and these people can be very clever fooling you into thinking they’re genuine.

Secondly. With a cross you don't know which traits the dog will inherit. It may be a nightmare of a super intelligent poodle with endless energy and capacity for getting into trouble.

Speaking of- coat inheritence is unreliable too. Only 1 in 4 puppies will have the poodle like coat, the rest will have a mix or spaniel coat. You will need to comb (not brush) it properly and thoroughly every day, and grooming trips every 6 weeks. Neglect it and poo coats tend to “felt”, and the only way to fix it is to shear it all off.

If you need a hypoallergenic or non shedding coat, go straight for a poodle, or look at something like a yorkshire terrier. I always think this myth tha poo/doodles are hypoallergenic is dog homeopathy- take a poodle with a coat selected over many years to not shed and be less allergenic, and cross it with a normal, shedding dog, and somehow expect the puppies coats to be much less allergenic/shedding than the parent poodle confused

Plus you will pay far more for a designer cross than you will a kc reg pedigree!

reallyanotherone Thu 07-Feb-19 09:36:07

Sorry yes not moulting was another plus point, I read in my research that they drop less fur

Cross post- see above.

If you want a non shedding dog get a poodle. Or a yorkie.

Crossing a non-shedding dog with a shedding one isn't going to make the puppies less likely to shed.

anxiousbundle Thu 07-Feb-19 09:37:59

@BiteyShark I have a worker too- they love their ballsgrin definitely agree, you always need to have an eye on them and play to keep them entertained!

I'd be beside myself if my boy wandered off and I couldn't find him!

anxiousbundle Thu 07-Feb-19 09:41:01

"Firstly it is very, very likely it will be puppy farmed or back yard breeder breeding these crosses for money. No health checks, unlimited litters per bitch- and these people can be very clever fooling you into thinking they’re genuine."

THIS^ @reallyanotherone
So true, buying the designer breed also encourages more backyard breeders as the demand goes up (it's why they're so expensive!) why would you pay sometimes up to a grand for a mutt? Our cocker was £450 and is perfect (has recently had 2 leg surgeries though due to Luxating Patella which is a common genetic issue in spaniels).

reallyanotherone Thu 07-Feb-19 09:41:33

If it’s looks you’re worried about, cockapoo versus poodle:

BB8sm8 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:44:39

Ok thank you everyone I’m learning so much 😊 sooooo what would be a good first family dog for us? I like the size of the cockapoos, small to mediumish. As I say I’m at home all the time so can do lots of training, this is partially for my benefit as I suffer from depression so we’re hoping that a little love and focus of working with a dog will help to bring me a bit of light when I’m struggling ❤️

BB8sm8 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:46:21

To be fair I didn’t realise pure breeds are that inexpensive compared to cross breeds. The pup we looked at was £1200. I’m not overly keen on the look of the poodle (sorry no offense intended at all!) I like the scruffy teddy bear look of the cockapoo ❤️

anxiousbundle Thu 07-Feb-19 09:47:34

@BB8sm8 Miniature schnauzers are great- don't need a huge amount of walking (but do love a good walk when you want to)! Very loyal and obedient. Easy to train. My parents have one smile (they do bark a lot though if you don't train that out of them, spray of water each time they bark in the face usually stops it.grin)

Or a cocker spaniel if you want something more fast paced, intelligent, love (and need) a longer walk daily (preferably 1 off lead a day), quite small dogs, just a bit long! Great with children and love to play.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »