Talk

Advanced search

Cats during building work! Help!

(3 Posts)
RMarieClaire Sat 19-Jan-19 15:13:00

We have two lovely, needy Siberian forest cats - brother and sister, almost 2 years old. They go out when they want during the day (which is lots) then we lock their cat flap to keep them in the house at night.

We are beginning some building work in 2 weeks, and I'm not sure what will be best for them. It's an extension at the back of the house, and they won't be able to get out their cat flap because of the foundation work. It could last 8-10 weeks.

We thought about leaving a window upstairs open, so they could climb down on the roof below and then a ramp to the garden - but it will be February and we don't really want to leave a window open when we're not home.

We don't let them out the front because it's a busy, single traffic road, down which people drive too fast. The house is an ok size but not huge for big cats - three double bedrooms and an open dining/lounge area.

Would it be cruel to keep them in for the duration of the work? Any others had experience with this kind of thing?

Thank you!

lubeybooby Sat 19-Jan-19 15:47:29

not cruel to keep them in though you may get some vocal and possible toilet protests. ensure adequate litter facilites and get a couple of feliway plug ins

theworldistoosmall Sat 19-Jan-19 15:55:04

If their anything like mine, they will find a cosy spot to hide. I just moved things to where I know their comfort zones are away from the noisy people. I do the same when we have parties etc.
Yes I get shouted at because of the invaders. But a couple of dreamies sorts them out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »