Talk

Advanced search

Best pet insurance to get.

(6 Posts)
user83921 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:17:28

Recently we have got an English bulldog puppy and I'm trying to sort our pet insurance, but I'm so confused by it all.

I want the best one possible as obviously bulldogs are known to have health problems and I can't afford to spend £5k on operations.

Does anyone have any advice? Particularly on what companies they use? And have you had to claim and did they pay up?

I've had many people tell me to be very careful picking as sometimes the insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on!

Thank you.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 16-Jan-19 03:45:53

For a bulldog the highest possible cover you can get on a lifetime policy: the ops are pricey, but it's the likely long term skin conditions that really add up.

Squeegle Wed 16-Jan-19 03:51:18

I have used tesco in the past, they have been good. I am now with Liverpool Victoria.

blackcat86 Wed 16-Jan-19 05:13:07

I currently use Tesco for my cat who was previously stray for a year so is likely to have a few health problems as he gets older. The top level policy for him is about £15pm but gives us £10k of cover pa which is renewed each year. Have a look on their website. Also if you have a clubcard you use regularly you might get a discount.

Namechangeragain01 Wed 16-Jan-19 05:24:59

I'd recommend Bought by Many.
We have that for our pooch. It's the only one I could find with a zero excess. Claims are online / by phone. Very straightforward.

missbattenburg Wed 16-Jan-19 06:07:25

Pet plan typically gets the best recommendations. Most vets allow them to pay direct so you don't have to pay the vet then claim the money back off the insurer. Not all do which leaves you still needing to find the money to pay initially.

They tend not to put premiums up by huge amounts as the dog ages.

They also tend to get the best rating for paying out at all.

Buy the highest, lifetime cover you can - though I expect that will be fairly pricey for a bulldog.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »