Talk

Advanced search

Farty kitten?

(26 Posts)
SitOnMyHouse Tue 08-Jan-19 12:45:49

Googling seems to suggest that cats only do stinky farts if they’re poorly. My kitten is stinking the house out! I’ve checked his paws and they’re clean, he’s using his litter tray properly, I’ve given him a good sniff all over and he doesn’t smell, he’s not changed his diet.

But every 30 minutes or so the room completely stinks! No audible fart noise but I’m guessing that must be it? Is it a kitten thing that might, hopefully, possibly, go away as he gets bigger? Anyone else has the same problem? Any diet tips?

rosydreams Tue 08-Jan-19 12:57:24

must be the food one of mine made the worst smells but only with fish flavour cat food

smartcarnotsosmartdriver Tue 08-Jan-19 13:11:12

My cat used to to it when she was little, not that often but it was vile. She outgrew it quite quickly.

Santaisfastasleepatlast Tue 08-Jan-19 13:14:47

My dcat has smelly farts.
Explained away by the fact he frequently steals veg.
Last night he jumped on the table and ran off with a huge broccoli floret!!

Bitchfromhell Tue 08-Jan-19 13:21:50

My lovely boy cat was a horribly farty kitten. Nothing wrong with him and at some point he just stopped. He's never had the runs or anything, just was a smelly baby. smile

SitOnMyHouse Tue 08-Jan-19 14:33:46

That sounds promising then! Hopefully he’s just a stinky babyz

SitOnMyHouse Tue 08-Jan-19 14:33:54

*baby.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 10-Jan-19 18:49:48

One of mine stinks. But I've changed her diet and gone wheat free and she's so much better. She's also stopped vomiting.

Mendeleyev Thu 10-Jan-19 19:03:16

Same as Toddler. Changing to wheat free helped but she was seriously intolerant, losing weight and doing sloppy poos.

SoupDragon Thu 10-Jan-19 19:06:39

Mine stink of egg! I don't think there's anything wrong with them though.

SoupDragon Thu 10-Jan-19 19:08:07

They are on a wheat free food. Although I should check the ingredients for the wet food maybe.

MrsFoxPlus4 Thu 10-Jan-19 19:09:26

One of mines is just an absolute stink bomb. There’s nothing wrong with her she’s been to the vets and stuff she just has an awful habit of stealing food and drinks 😂

DonDrapersOldFashioned Thu 10-Jan-19 19:10:29

All of the kittens i’ve ever had have gone through a farty phase. I think it’s to do with their little digestive systems maturing and getting used to meaty pet food vs milk.

Firstbornunicorn Thu 10-Jan-19 19:14:15

Mine did this when we first got her. We had been feeding her the Whiskas kitten food, which has some kind of milk pellets in and she's lactose intolerant.

SoupDragon Thu 10-Jan-19 19:18:50

Mine don't fart audibly, but a foul miasma simply rises up from their general vicinity.

DonDrapersOldFashioned Fri 11-Jan-19 10:31:15

What soupy said

SpottedTiger Fri 11-Jan-19 10:35:17

Mine were farty on kitten food, stopped on adult cat food also our dog got bad farts if he managed to steal said kitten food. One of mines started again now he is elderly, which I assumed was his aged digestive system.

SitOnMyHouse Fri 11-Jan-19 12:25:19

Thats it, there’s no audible noise. Just an incredible smell which has made me check dc’s nappy. Glad to hear it might clear up. I had been giving him Whiskas kitten food which does appear to have lactose in it. Once he’s finished this lot I’ll wean him into something else.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I’m obsessing over the health of my kitten more than I ever did with my dc 😳.

adaline Fri 11-Jan-19 16:40:43

Whiskas is essentially McDonald's for cats - get her onto a decent grain free brand smile it doesn't have to be expensive - you can buy grain-free food in most supermarkets now or in Pets at Home.

SitOnMyHouse Fri 11-Jan-19 22:00:17

😳 I didn’t know that adaline, I just carried on using what the lady I got her from used. I’m looking at grain free versions now. There seem to be grain free version of the wet food and the biscuits. Should I aim for grain free for both? At the moment I’m giving half a pouch of Whiskas kitten food 3 times a day and Whiskas kitten biscuits available all the time. Should I switch both?

Thanks again for advice.

adaline Sat 12-Jan-19 08:59:34

Don't feel bad, I didn't know at first either! I assumed because it was sold in shops that it was suitable smile

Both my cats get grain free now. We feed a mixture of brands - Lily's Kitchen, Harrington's, James Wellbeloved or Wainwright's - just whatever is on offer basically.

I would go grain-free for both if possible, just make sure you make the switch gradually so you don't upset his tum!

Firstbornunicorn Sat 12-Jan-19 18:25:28

@adaline that's right and I did know that when I got my kitten! It was just that she landed with us starving, cold and only 5 weeks old, and the only thing open was a 24 hour petrol station. We were very keen to get her different food after a couple of days 😂

Dollymixture22 Sun 13-Jan-19 21:57:52

My kitten can be silent but deadly!! Clean bill of health from vet - all treatments and vaccinations up to date.

I suppose everyone does it!!

Clarebear8 Wed 23-Jan-19 15:12:10

Our kitten, Luis, ( named by our son after a drug dealer /pimp in Grand Theft Auto) was incredibly farty at first and had a pot belly. Vet lifted him up in the air and laughed and said 'Worms!'
Apparently that causes it, esp in rescue kittens which ours was. Easy to fix and Luis now a big, sleek black cat in front of the woodburner....

LonelyAmongUs Wed 23-Jan-19 23:26:02

Has your vet check his anal glands? Does he "scoot" his bum along the ground.

Two-pronged approach: worm with drontal, vet checks the glands. Make incremental dietary changes: baby steps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »