Talk

Advanced search

Help hamster keeps chewing my fingers!!!

(10 Posts)
magicaltoaster Sun 30-Dec-18 20:30:55

Help! My hamster seems keen to be picked up, he gets excited when we come over, starts running about like a maniac, but when he comes to my hand he always chews my fingers, quite hard. Earlier he was literally hanging off my finger by his teeth!!! Am trying not to panic as I know he'll pick up on it, but am starting to get quite nervous that he'll fall out my hands and keep chewing me, he's so wriggly and manic! He's desperate to escape, how to get him in his ball without him falling out of my hands?!

I am wearing gloves now, having learnt the hard way. And his cage is low.. I gave him settling in time, and got him to trust me with treats. I don't come down on him from above, as I know that will look like a predator. I try to lay my hand in there, which he will scuttle onto, but seems insistent on using it as a chew toy!!!
He needs cleaning, help!

veganloves Tue 08-Jan-19 22:40:45

All hamsters do that.

coldcoldcoldcold Tue 08-Jan-19 23:29:49

Not a hamster expert but have a little experience. Make sure you're washing your hands before handling with plain soap. If you haven't washed your hands or use scented soap the hamster may pick up the scent and think your fingers are a tasty treat

LuluMelons Tue 08-Jan-19 23:35:00

Awww!

Sorry, I'm no help.

veganloves Tue 08-Jan-19 23:50:39

No amount of hand washing will make a change. Hamsters bite all the time. I've have two hamsters (separate cages) I am somewhat of an expert as much as can be.
My teen wears gloves because of the chewing. When cleaning the cages we transfer them into hamster balls so they can run around.
Handle them daily and manoeuvre accordingly.

jammydodger5 Wed 09-Jan-19 00:31:14

Iv had a lot of hamsters and they don't all bite

Here are some tips to prevent chewing:

Wash your hands before and after handling hamster

Make sure your hamster has gnaw sticks and plenty of toys so hamster is not bored

Regularly spending time with your hamster may help hamster get used to you

Your hamster sounds like he might be anxious about being handled

If you need to put him in his ball for cleaning cage and are afraid of him biting you then put ball in his cage wait till he is in ball then make sure ball is secure
Hope this helps

Dockray Wed 09-Jan-19 00:41:18

Ds1 got his hamster used to his smell by tucking a piece of tissue into the top of his sock for a few hours and then putting it into her cage. She then would incorporate it into her bedding. It really seemed to help tame her and there was no more biting. In fact she used to run to him and would be handled happily and play before curling up in his dressing gown pocket to sleep.

SqueakyPigs Wed 09-Jan-19 00:49:25

I agree with the tissue technique, make sure it’s kitchen roll and not toilet paper style as the lint isn’t the best for them.

ninalovesdragons Wed 09-Jan-19 00:52:00

There are some great YouTube videos on how to tame a hamster. It takes time and patience but they're brilliant once tamed, it's so worth it

I would recommend getting him into his ball first then laying a towel down in the bath and letting him out the ball so he can run around with you also in the bath so you can stroke him etc but don't have to pick him up. Feed him treats and be very patient. Talk too so he knows your voice. Over a few weeks build up to slowly picking him up. Our last hamster was so tame within a few weeks she never ever bit me again. But nearly all do at first!

ninalovesdragons Wed 09-Jan-19 00:52:46

I think you should avoid tissue as it can get stuck in their pouches and can cause infection etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: