Talk

Advanced search

Leaving dog in a car - how long?

(31 Posts)
wangle99 Wed 27-Jun-07 10:48:58

How long would you consider leaving a dog in a car (not talking about in hot weather of course).

Is it acceptable to do it at all?

throckenholt Wed 27-Jun-07 10:57:29

depends on the temperament of the dog. Assuming the weather is not hot - then maybe up to 2 hours.

binkleandflip Wed 27-Jun-07 10:58:12

Don't do it at all in my book but ten minutes max if you need to nip somewhere

elesbelles Wed 27-Jun-07 11:01:00

i wouldnt personally. i would view it the same as leaving kids in the car.

daisyboo Wed 27-Jun-07 11:02:26

Isn't it illegal to do so, or is that just in hot weather?

I wouldn't as a rule.

Speccy Wed 27-Jun-07 11:05:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wisteria Wed 27-Jun-07 11:06:04

I did leave my pooch in a car once when I had to rush to hospital with a friend, she was there for about 2 hours and I was worried but to be honest she was fine, the window was open and it was Dec, she just went to sleep.
I wouldn't make a habit of it but had no choice in that instance (I checked on her too after about 30mins to make sure she wasn't barking or distressed), can't stand seeing dogs in cars when they're agitated, always have an urge to break into the car and set them free!
Agree that it does depend on temperament of dog and weather.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Wed 27-Jun-07 11:08:45

"depends on the temperament of the dog." ... and in the temperaments of passers by who tend to overestimate how long the pouch has been waiting for you...

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Wed 27-Jun-07 11:08:58

poOch

Wisteria Wed 27-Jun-07 11:14:57

Well yes, that could be a problem - think my pooch was ok tho' as it was night time so no one would have seen her. It's the people that decide to talk to your dog who was quite happy having a nap that really wind me up, it always sets the alarm off because her tail goes nineteen to the dozen when I've nipped to the shop and left her in the boot!

daisyboo Wed 27-Jun-07 11:16:16

Advice from the RSPCA is don't do it and that you can be prosecuted of you do.

RSPCA

NAB3 Wed 27-Jun-07 11:17:08

Just seen a sign at the pet shop saying to never leave your dog in a car as inside it can get up to 50 degress. Leaving a window open doen't bring the temperature down. If I had a dog I wouldn't leave them at all if I couldn't see them.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Wed 27-Jun-07 11:18:25

I loved this part pf the RSPCA's advice:

"A dog should not be left in the boot of a car overnight."

Noooo, really?! (sarcastic emoticon)

wangle99 Wed 27-Jun-07 11:18:30

Hmm knowing my luck I'd get reported for it!

I have to help with DS's school swimming tomorrow and we've just got our new greyhound and MIL has to go out (she normally looks after when i'm not here) so was going to take him and leave him in the car.

I shall think of something else instead - perhaps dog would like to come swimming too lol

Speccy Wed 27-Jun-07 11:18:31

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Wed 27-Jun-07 11:20:25

Exactly, what's so bad about leaving them at home? surely they are better and safer at home than in the car?

We only take our dogs with us if they can be with us thorughout the day, otherwise they saty home.

Speccy Wed 27-Jun-07 11:22:28

Wisteria Wed 27-Jun-07 11:22:59

Yes, in warm weather it's an absolute no no - no question - I don't even nip into shop then, but tie her up outside.
Totally agree with speccy, in normal weather it's fine - even my breeder friends do it and they're sticklers for the health of their dogs!

daisyboo Wed 27-Jun-07 11:24:47

Granted Speccy, but the weather can change, especially at this time of year, and what starts off as a cool overcast day can get hotter and sunnier.

I just wouldn't do it, or if I absolutely had to would check on them every 15 mins maximum.

Wisteria Wed 27-Jun-07 11:26:03

Yes but obviously you realise when the weather is heating up and go and do something about it!

Speccy Wed 27-Jun-07 11:28:53

Wisteria Wed 27-Jun-07 11:29:49

Speccy you don't need shooting - I'm sure your lovely lab was fine - mine is a lab/collie cross x

Speccy Wed 27-Jun-07 11:31:55

Wisteria Wed 27-Jun-07 11:33:48

- we got our Sacha a yr and a half ago, rescue, she's 2.5 now and lovely, just started another thread actually if you know anything about phantom pg

<Wisteria sincerely apologises for hijack and disappears>

wangle99 Thu 28-Jun-07 07:33:27

DS woke up this morning with croup, so 1) won't be going to school and 2) I won't be helping with swimming so don't need to worry about the dog! phew lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now