Talk

Advanced search

What would you do?....

(12 Posts)
AlfieJacksmummy Sat 23-Jun-07 13:27:08

Ok, this is the story...
I rescued 3 cats (2 brothers and another boy) from the cats protection about 5yrs ago. I split from my partner and always struggled to find somewhere to rent with them but always managed. I now have a ds of 7 months and we are being thrown out cos the landlord is selling.
We have not found anywhere to live (that is suitable for my baby) that we can take the cats and we can afford, so im starting to consider rehoming them. I am so upset by the idea they are like family to me and im worried they will go somewhere and be mistreated or split up but none of my family can have them.
The other problem is they are killing birds and things all the time and then go near my lo and im worried about diseases and stuff.
Basically we could have our choice of houses at good prices if we didnt have the cats but the thought of giving them away breaks my heart.
Please any advice really welcome!
Sorry for the long post x

whomovedmychocolate Sat 23-Jun-07 16:10:54

You've given then five good years and if you had to get rid of them, well you have to put your kids first at the end of the day don't you?

Is it possible that you could move short term and look for somewhere cat friendly and ask Cats Protection to look after them temporarily? Your DS won't remember them within a week or so - sorry!

Either way, don't feel bad, these things happen.

As for killing birds, cats are generally a hotbed of disease anyway but strangely kids survive it. As long as the cats aren't licking the baby, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope your situation gets better soon.

licketysplit Sat 23-Jun-07 16:23:01

Do the CPL ask you to sign a contract with them with regards to rehoming? Are you supposed to do it through them?

AlfieJacksmummy Sat 23-Jun-07 19:03:08

Hi.
Firstly I did manage to get the cpl to look after them for a few weeks when i got thrown out by my partner and I had to beg and she had to pretend they were for rehoming so don't think they would be happy to do it again.
As for the contract we didnt sign anything, which is a bit wierd I know and they didnt check my home (i could of lived anywhere and treated them badly) and they didnt check my brothers either so im worried if I give them back they will go somewhere awful that they haven't checked?
im really stuck what to do!

whomovedmychocolate Sat 23-Jun-07 20:36:20

how about the Blue Cross instead then?

AlfieJacksmummy Sat 23-Jun-07 20:46:17

I've not really heard of them, are they good? Do they have them all over the country.

I assume from the responses that no one thinks I should keep them?
Thanks for the help

whomovedmychocolate Sat 23-Jun-07 21:58:49

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/home/home.asp

barney2 Sun 24-Jun-07 10:01:38

I work with the CPL and they would take them back from you and would rehome them - I'm sure they'd rather they took them back from you than you struggle to find somewhere else for them to go. Where abouts do you live?

AlfieJacksmummy Sun 24-Jun-07 10:16:41

Im in Gloucester, and i know cpl do great work but like I say i never got home checked neither did my brother and luckily we love our pets and have good homes but they didnt know that, what if next time they get it wrong? Also I think if i gave them to a family or whatever, they would go straight to a new home instead of being in a cage until someone wanted them. Do you see what I mean?

barney2 Sun 24-Jun-07 11:37:18

Yea I do see what you mean. I have cats myself and know I'd prefer they went directly to a new home rather than spend time in a pen etc. I guess it depends on how desperate you are to rehome them because whilst CPL pens aren't the same as a new home they are good sized pens and they are extremely well looked after.

As far as pre-home checking is concerned I guess it depends on who you dealt with but I'd have thought they should've checked your home/garden/location out first. You could've said you lived in the countryside when in fact you may be living next to the M25!!

If I were you I'd put a new post on here and title it something like 'home needed for cats' because a title like that will catch people's eyes.

Good luck.

AlfieJacksmummy Sun 24-Jun-07 12:06:19

Thankyou. Im glad you see what i mean, thats what I thought, i could of lived anywhere or been anyone, and if i rehome myself I can vet the house maybe. Hopefully it will all work out!

barney2 Sun 24-Jun-07 13:27:44

Also, as you no doubt know, cats are born hunters - birds, frogs, mice, rats etc etc but please don't worry about that with your LO - providing the cats don't lick the LO he/she will be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now