Talk

Advanced search

My poor cat!

(2 Posts)
pinlot5 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:35:21

Don't do too much approval smiling to your child. Without smiles & he will wait for your 'queus' if he's interested to please you. Lets him know he has a long way before getting approval from you.u.e. that he is acknowledging your advice that the cat is a family member deserving to mix or be left alone. Sometimes the male influence is at play. Children quickly realise the female is the subordinate entity & see the submissiveness.

Pixie26 Sun 02-Dec-18 23:00:28

Sorry for the long post!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me regarding my 14mo and my cat.
My DS adores my cat! As soon as he see's him he gets very excited and runs towards/after him, the problem is only being 14mo he doesn't know how to be gentle, I've tried sooo many times to teach him and show him, but he just gets so excited and puts all his weight on the cat or rubs his fur frantically, but what he loves most of all is to try and grab his tail and pull it, and each time he's getting better and better grip, and now my cat has started swatting and meowing at my DS, and I'm so worried he's going to eventually scratch/bite him, I of course always try to stop him before it happens, but my cat doesn't seem to be getting the message and just lays there until it happens, even coming back and sitting next to my LO straight after it's just happened! I just feel so bad as I'm constantly telling my LO no, and moving him away (then he screams and cry's) and I'm having to try and keep my cat shut out of the room, to which he just sits and cry's at the door! 😩 my cat is an indoor cat, which doesn't help and has noticeably become more needy since my LO was born, I always make a big fuss of him when LO is in bed, but he loves being with us in the day, but it's getting worse and worse, I just don't know if there is something I can try with my LO to help teach him to be gentle, or is it just a case of persisting until he's a little bit older?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you if you've read this far! X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »