Talk

Advanced search

Ideas on breeds please

(57 Posts)
BernieBear Sat 16-Jun-07 11:14:14

I am looking to get a dog very soon and would like an idea on a breed. My ds is allergic to the shedding variety of dog so am looking at getting a dog that needs clipping/non-shedder/low shedder etc. I am at home most of day or out walking (am a dog walker!) so that isn't a problem. Also need a breed that is good with children (ds is 3 yrs). Also should I go for a bitch or dog? I have heard mixed thoughts on which works best with children. Am in south of england so if anyone knows of any good breeders that would be great too.

Many thanks

BB

hercules1 Sat 16-Jun-07 11:30:59

What size dog?

macwoozy Sat 16-Jun-07 11:39:48

I've got a maltese terrier which is adorable. He doesn't moult so ideal for your ds. He's a friendly little thing that loves children. I do cut his hair now and again but only because he looks so much cuter with short hair. He's 8 now, but I still get asked if he's a pup.

BernieBear Sat 16-Jun-07 12:21:00

Size isn't an issue, have always been a labrador lover (without wanting to sound rude ) so probably a larger dog.

fortyplus Sat 16-Jun-07 12:23:36

Border terriers are non shedding and great with children. Only drawback is that they particularly hate being left alone, but doesn't sound as though that's a problem for you.

BernieBear Sat 16-Jun-07 12:25:21

Oh now that's a good idea. I'll check up on them. They are cute!

fortyplus Sat 16-Jun-07 12:27:02

They're very sociable with other dogs, too - which would be good for you. When we were on holiday there was a Border Terrier called Wilf living in the cottage next door - he was fab! I cou;d've quite happily packed him and taken him home!

BernieBear Sat 16-Jun-07 12:33:04

Any ideas on male vs. female where children are concerned. I have heard such mixed reviews that I am confused now.

fortyplus Sat 16-Jun-07 12:47:01

Neutered males probably easiest imo - but I'm no expert.

Speccy Sat 16-Jun-07 16:18:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hercules1 Sat 16-Jun-07 16:32:17

We researched lots of breeds before getting our 3 and heardlots of opinions on dogs and bitches. I think a lot depends on teh breed you go for.

lilymolly Sat 16-Jun-07 16:39:28

Labrador every time

Yes they are boisterous, but you must always supervise anyway, so that should not be a problem. They are good with kids, mine only sheds twice a year, and she is so loving to dd and I.

They do need exercise, but they make you get out and about.
Mine is a bitch, so thats what I recommend.

Speccy Sat 16-Jun-07 16:48:01

Speccy Sat 16-Jun-07 16:50:36

BernieBear Sat 16-Jun-07 18:32:47

Oh thanks for all that. I would love love love a labrador, but having experienced the "shedding season" I know for sure my ds would be very poorly.

Had considered a labradoodle or cockerpoo, but they are a lot of money. The Border Terrier is something I had not thought of before which could certainly be a thought.

We are looking after a Westie for a week next month and I will see how ds reacts to him for a week and then will consider where we go from there.

I have always had dogs, but have heard that bitches would be better with children. Then the other day I heard the opposite. I am so confused!

Thanks all x

Speccy Sat 16-Jun-07 18:37:30

hercules1 Sat 16-Jun-07 18:43:18

Agree about labradoodles. There are no guarantees re hair. I'm allergic to dogs with short hair so have got 2 long hair ones but we spent some time with a great dane puppy and I had no reactions so got him too!

MamaG Sat 16-Jun-07 18:43:50

get a lab, can't beat em

Speccy Sat 16-Jun-07 18:44:17

MamaG Sat 16-Jun-07 18:45:01

Ah, you jus have to cope with it

Speccy Sat 16-Jun-07 18:45:16

hercules1 Sat 16-Jun-07 18:51:09

lilymolly Sat 16-Jun-07 19:07:41

Really my lab only sheds twice a year, when she changes from winter to summer coat and vice versa.
its a nightmare for 2 weeks, but once thats over its fine and I never see another hair

MamaG Sat 16-Jun-07 21:59:06

yy

ash6605 Sun 17-Jun-07 15:38:37

What about a Bichon Frise,they don't shed hair and are fab for the kids.I have a dog and a Bitch,both are great with my 2 dc's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now