Talk

Advanced search

Having cat put to sleep

(12 Posts)
Frosty6611 Sat 11-Aug-18 13:11:45

Having my beautiful Maine coon put to sleep next week. He has been diagnosed with lymphoma and he isn’t eating much and just seems generally depressed. He’s the love of my life and I feel hysterical every time I think about it.
Any tips on how to get through it without having a complete mental breakdown in front of the vet? Thank you

MissConductUS Sat 11-Aug-18 13:15:10

I'm so sorry about your sweet boy. I've been in the same awful situation several times.

I've held myself together during the procedure because I owe it to the cat to be there, calmly providing comfort and support. Then I have a bit of a breakdown once it's over.

Remember that he had a lovely life with you and has very poor quality of life now.

flowers

Frosty6611 Sat 11-Aug-18 13:17:23

@missconduct
Thank you. And sorry for your losses too. It’s very hard :-(
It’s just been me and him living together for the past decade and we have such a bond. Not having his company will be truly awful!
Hopefully I can remain strong during the procedure and then go home for a good cry

MissConductUS Sat 11-Aug-18 13:58:09

You can never replace him, but after a time you will be ready to open your heart and home to another furry friend who needs you.

Good luck.

Bubblemagic11 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:02:19

I’m so sorry OP, what a terrible thing to have to go through after so many lovely years together. Remember the good times and how much love and happiness you’ve shared. No tips, just to send hugs your way for you and your beautiful boy xxx

UtterlyDesperate Sat 11-Aug-18 14:03:58

I'm so sorry, OP - my Maine Coon was put to sleep unexpectedly two months ago. The vet was lovely - I did cry but he was very kind. They are very used to upset owners, so don't worry about that. It does get easier, though I'm crying again now just thinking about it again flowers to you both

Cheeseislife Sat 11-Aug-18 14:08:29

He will sense your distress so for his sake hold it together, once hes passed (I hope peacefully and quickly) you can let the composure go. So very sorry for you and your baby.

JS374phina Sat 11-Aug-18 14:24:03

I am so sorry to hear this. I personally have always taken it really badly every time we have had a cat passed away or put down.

I think it is particularly hard if it was just you and him as there is definitely a special bond when just you 2.

I tell myself that it has been a wonderful life for them and an amazing relationship. The vets we go to are amazing and cut off some of their fur and put it into a nice personalised wooden box for us along with their ashes so they feel near. Don't ever forget him and cherish the memories you had with him, he wouldn't have found a better home than with you! Lots of love

Frosty6611 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:59:24

Thanks everyone and so sorry to hear of all your losses. The selfish part of me wants to keep him alive as long as possible as i’ll miss him so much. I wouldn’t ever actually do that though as don’t want him suffering :-( wish all our fur babies could live as long as we do

Boredoftryingusernames Sat 11-Aug-18 15:06:00

Really sorry to hear about your poor cat, sounds like you are making the only fair decision for him and you have to hold onto the fact that letting him go before things get worse for him is the kindest thing to do.

I'm a vet and I always reassure owners not to worry about being upset in front of us - we all do the job as we love animals, and know how horribly sad the decision is for owners. Try and stay strong for your little friend if you can, but please don't worry about crying/getting emotional before/during/after because of the vet/staff there - I find it harder to relate to people that don't show any emotion to be honest.
Sending strength.

Frosty6611 Sat 11-Aug-18 15:11:29

@bored thank you. I know I 100% won’t be able to not be crying my eyes out during the procedure, but i’ll try and not be too hysterical about it. When my childhood cat was put to sleep I was completely devestated. This time feels worse as he’s just my cat and we live alone together. Had him since he could fit in my hand as a kitten.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 15-Aug-18 22:38:14

My girl was put to sleep last week. Hers was semi expected as she had heart disease. Though it was her kidneys in the end and her heart had been improving on new medication. It was the only thing to be done.
The vets put us in a separate room. I cuddled her until she got fed up with me! I took her sister along to help comfort her and she climbed into her sisters basket until it was time. Then I cuddled her. It was very calm and peaceful. I was relieved it was all over at the time and her sister understood. Having her sister there was a massive comfort.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: