Talk

Advanced search

German Pointers - anyone got any or advice on how to handle them?

(9 Posts)
Luxmum Tue 01-May-07 19:30:05

Hello, we're debating whether to get a German pointer from a local shelter. It is a lovely dog, but huge, and very very energetic. I've only had elkhounds before, what are pointers like as pets? Or should I get another dog which is less hassle - ie normal - not needing 2 hour RUNS every day - the reason it's being given away

muppethasakitten Thu 03-May-07 20:04:43

We have just such a dog (click on my name and see a picture in my photo section!).

Whilst he is lovely and has many admirable qualities... I would caution you with the advice that I personally will not be getting another one once he is no more!!

I exercise him A LOT... but after half an hour's R & R it's as if he'd never been out. These dogs have been bred for stamina - working on a shoot all day - and boy do they have buckets of it!

Added to this we have had to put 6 foot fencing around our garden becos he runs off at any opportunity and roams... this is a common trait of the breed and I know several other owners who have had to install similar concentration camp barriers! In fact the kennels where he goes whilst we are on holiday have special exercise pens for the pointers as they were escaping and "climbing" the fences in the other paddocks! They do actually use their front feet like a cat would use it's claws so they have tremendous upper body strength and can scale ridiculous heights if they are so minded!

They can also be incredibly highly strung verging on the neurotic... infact a lot of people I have spoken to who work gundogs won't use gsp's because of this.

I guess I would want to know an AWFUL lot about the dog before i got a rescue... I would imagine that the reasons it is in there will be the things that could in turn drive you mad... how old are your kids, how much time do you have etc. We had our dog from puppyhood... seemingly with out bad habits etc and that was hard enough.

On the positive side they are usually very good natured, good with other dogs (can be dodgy with cats, although ours lived with our cat until it was run over) good with kids on the whole, always up for a walk etc. So there are lots of great things about them!

I realise this is a negative response but the re-homing rate on these dogs is really high due to the reasons I've listed... I'd wager it's why he's in there now. I'd probably be just as tempted as you to rescue him!

BaffledByBabyTights Thu 03-May-07 20:10:21

we had a wiemaraner, which is the same group of breeds (Hunter Pointer Retreiver) and we loved him for years, but they are VERY needy dogs in terms of attention as well as exercise and if you leave them for any length of time they go a bit loopy. I would contact the bred society if I were you and get more clued up on them before you commit. Good luck!

MKG Thu 03-May-07 20:34:51

I have had 2 German Shorthaired Pointers (not at the same time) and they have been the best dogs.

They are:

1. Eager to please and learn quickly. Ours learned to sit in about 10 minutes
2. Great with people especially my ds (The one we currently have we got when ds was 4 months, and ds is currently 21 months) I have to say that I do not worry about the dog and ds together.
3. they eat anything, and everything.
4. Happy to go for a walk, but also happy to lay next to you. (Very affectionate)
5. Ours is very affectionate and great with other dogs, but his excitement is sometimes confused with aggression amongst other dog owners.
6. Ours does climb out of the gate at my moms house, but always manages to climb back in when he's ready to go back.
7. While being walked they do require a strong person because ours gets the smell or sight of other animals and wants to chase them down.
8. One good thing is that they are bred to point and chase not to kill, so the two we have had haven't had a mean bone in their body (we may just be lucky)

I hope this helps. This is a great breed of dog, but requires a certain kind of owner to fit into a family.

ratclare Fri 04-May-07 17:12:59

I have a rescue GSP and spent the first six months thinking OMG what the hell have i done . I had no previous experience of this breed and am always a bit suspicious of breed traits because you can have two dogs of the same breed who are totally different characters . I think aslong as you can give him plenty of exercise and attention ,you wont have any more problems than you would with any rescue dog. Mine gets one really good free walk a day ,about an hour usually and has no behavioural problems,but he isnt left alone for long periods. Where is it by the way because if you decide against it ,the breed rescue might be able to rehome him.

beautifulgirls Sat 05-May-07 08:15:52

They are totally nuts! My parents have one and we affectionately call her spamdog! They do need a lot of exercise to channel their energy and stop them being destructive etc. That said my parents absolutely adore their one and would have another - wouldn't be my choice though.

gemmiegoatlegs Sat 05-May-07 08:17:23

sorry i saw this thread title and thought you were looking for some phrasebook tips! its too early for me

Lockett25 Fri 19-May-17 12:19:13

Hi did you get your GSP? I got one from a puppy, she is now 10 months. She has been very challenging, she's difficult to train and very stubborn and independent. She is very energetic. I walk her for at least an hour minimum a day...usually longer! I could never leave her all day in the house alone cos she'd get bored and wreck the joint. She has caused chaos and given me some stories to tell! At the same time she is very loyal and loving and the most affectionate dog ever! I LOVE her, she keeps me fit and on my toes. She is the friendliest dog in the work which is both a blessing and a curse.... if you have time and patience do it, otherwise there are much easier to manage breeds out there!

Lockett25 Fri 19-May-17 12:22:28

I just noticed this is 2007 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now