Talk

Advanced search

missing cat - haven't slept a wink - what to do?

(30 Posts)
gemwhitt Thu 08-Feb-18 06:55:44

My cat has gone missing. He's about 2 years, has never spent the night out. Went out after breakfast yesterday morning and hasn't been back since. Usually he wouldn't go far, and he's back by mid-morning for food and a sleep. This is HIGHLY unusual.
I've walked round the neighbourhood 4 times now, looked in bins, on top of sheds, called his name. Put fliers through neighbours doors at 6am so they get them before they go out to their garages.
He's either
1. trapped, but ok.
2. Trapped and hurt.
3. Hurt/scared and hiding.
4. Dead.

What are the odds that he will come home safe and sound? Do people mostly take cats who've been run over to the vet?

Any tips for coping or what to do?

Scabetty Thu 08-Feb-18 06:58:09

My cat got locked in a garage. We put leaflets through doors and a lady called to say she had checked her garage and the cat ran out. By the time the call ended cat was home. I hope your cat returns safely soon.

Beetle76 Thu 08-Feb-18 07:02:39

Hang in there. He’s probably stuck in a shed/garage. Well done for getting flyers together so quickly. Keep going for walks when you can. Let your local vets know - particularly the ones that have out of hours service. Talk to your neighbours. Ask if they went into their shed yesterday and if they’d mind checking it for you. Have you got a local Facebook group? Often helps to post there too. Good luck! He’ll be home soon.

gemwhitt Thu 08-Feb-18 07:07:15

Thank you both! Scabetty and Beetle76. You're right I must keep trying until I'm sure everyone has checked their garages. I hope it's that simple. I know that cats will hide if they are hurt, and mine is a stealthy bugger. Unfortunately I have to go into work this morning - they're not the type to understand taking a day off to look for a cat. Will do the rounds when I get home this afternoon again. Thank you for your words of reassurance!

stayathomegardener Thu 08-Feb-18 07:10:50

thanks
Leave some food and a box for shelter outside if he can't get back in.

Shedmicehugh Thu 08-Feb-18 07:12:47

I also stuck flyers to lamp posts in the local area.

Has he been neutered?

LuxuryMilk Thu 08-Feb-18 07:13:15

Oh mine have done this before, I was worried sick! He soon came strolling back home as if it was no biggie.

Fingers crossed he's just out having a bit of fun!

gemwhitt Thu 08-Feb-18 07:15:59

Shedmicehugh - yes he's been neutered and is a real home-body, not really the adventurous type. He loves his bed.

stayathomegardener, that's a good idea although we do have a cat flap which he uses no problem. Last night I put food outside and another cat bloody ate it!

Shedmicehugh Thu 08-Feb-18 07:20:46

Good luck I hope he turns up soon x

BluebellTheDonkey Thu 08-Feb-18 07:21:02

Have a look on the litter tray, there's a few posts about missing cats and lots of good advice. One thing you can try is to leave their litter and bedding, even the contents of your hoover bag, outside so they can smell familiar smells and hopefully follow them home. Good luck.

gemwhitt Thu 08-Feb-18 07:38:27

BluebellTheDonkey - thank you I will.

Also going straight to empty the hoover now!

gemwhitt Thu 08-Feb-18 19:27:05

Well Monty is still not home. I've done more flyering, and been round all my neighbours asking them to check outhouses, but nothing. I'm running out of ideas. Where the hell is he! I've walked around the neighbourhood holding his blanket and calling him, looking like a proper lunatic.
Every time I'm outside and calling him I think, "you've done enough". But as soon as I'm home I think, I need to keep looking!
Don't want to go to bed and have another restless night without him home.

Shedmicehugh Thu 08-Feb-18 20:09:56

Oh poor you flowers

Cats can be peculiar little things, you hear about cats returning home years later.

I understand your worry, I have 2 cats. One is always out exploring, I think nothing if he is gone for a while. The other is a real homely cat, never ventured far and not out for very long at all. Follows me everywhere, I worry if I haven’t seen him for half hour!

Have you tried Facebook, lost and found websites in your area etc

Shedmicehugh Thu 08-Feb-18 20:11:43

Cat protection I think have lost and found pages too. Just google for your area.

gemwhitt Fri 09-Feb-18 05:18:22

Thank you Shedmicehugh, I contacted cat protection and asked them to retweet. Also contacted the police twice on twitter, but they don't seem to retweet about lost animals.

Couldn't sleep so have just been out looking again, over walls and in people's gardens. Really starting to feel like I've lost him now, like really lost him.

Unfortunately he's just not the type to draw attention to himself if he's stuck or lost. He'll just hide! And he's black so he's a good hider.

I'm going to flyers again today, waiting for amazon prime to deliver more printer ink.

Shedmicehugh Fri 09-Feb-18 06:59:23

You are doing all you can.

Have you knocked on all the houses in your street? A long shot I know, but I had an elderly cat, 13 years old, who went missing years back. He was found, a few days later. He had decided to move in with an elderly neighbour who had been feeding him! He still lives there now, at the age of 17!

After having him for 13 years, ungrateful little so and so! grin

Icequeen01 Fri 09-Feb-18 07:38:55

So sorry to hear this. One of mine went missing years ago and turned up 5 days later smelling of paint. I think she got locked in someone's shed.

Is he microchipped? Might be worth phoning your local vet as lost/injured animals often get handed in there.

Do you live near a road? I'm so sorry to have to suggest this but might be worth contacting the council.

I'm sure he will turn up Op. People are likely to go in their garages/sheds over the weekend so hopefully if he's locked in he will turn up in the next day or so.

gemwhitt Fri 09-Feb-18 10:59:16

Icequeen01 - thanks for your message, it's always good to hear a story where cat goes missing for a few days and still shows up eventually.

Yes he's microchipped, and I've contacted the identibase company and the vets. No one has tried to scan him, which I suppose is good news.

I do live fairly near to a road but he's not the type to cross it, he's a real home-body. But you're right I should probably contact the council just in case.

Fingers crossed he shows up at the weekend.

Shedmicehugh - that's hilarious! Must be getting lots of love and affection, and made an elderly neighbour very happy!

Thanks for all your messages. Will keep you posted.

ChelseaDagg3r Fri 09-Feb-18 11:11:07

You've missed an option! He's more than likely just out and about, enjoying himself. I know you say he never does this but honestly, the majority of cats do go for a wander at some point.

I wouldn't lose heart just yet

gemwhitt Fri 09-Feb-18 11:44:41

ChelseaDagg3r - I really hope you are right. It's possible. Thank you.

gemwhitt Sat 10-Feb-18 14:51:14

You won't believe it, he's home!!!!

Oh my word the relief is incredible.

I was crying this morning in Sainsburys asking the woman to advertise my missing cat poster. Then I went out to buy more printer ink. When I got home, about 11:45 the biscuits I left out had been eaten, but there wasn't any sign of him!

I couldn't understand why he wouldn't have stayed in and was worried it had just been another cat.

Then about 10 mins later I heard his little meow and there he was! Just came through the cat flap.

He's very dirty and a little thinner than before but otherwise in good spirits and has been playing and eating same as usual.

Phew! I'm having a beer I don't care.

Thanks you everyone for their words of wisdom and support the last fews days, it really has kept me going. You are all legends.

Floralnomad Sat 10-Feb-18 14:53:53

Congratulations OP , so happy for you , have a lovely weekend and a lot of cuddles .

Shedmicehugh Sat 10-Feb-18 15:03:43

Awwww so pleased for you!!!!!!

I have been thinking about Monty everyday and watching for updates!

wine you deserve a celebration/relief beer! Xx

Glowbug59 Sat 10-Feb-18 15:46:25

Fantastic update smile so pleased!

Scabetty Sat 10-Feb-18 15:49:59

I did a little cheer when I read this. So happy for you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: