Talk

Advanced search

Help - Chewing dog!

(7 Posts)
PaperPumpkin Thu 26-Oct-17 20:18:05

So we rehomed a puppy about 6 weeks ago. She's now 10 months old, a springer lab cross. We love her to bits, but her chewing is driving me mad. Every day she seems to find something new to munch! We think there's nothing left for her to get, but then she finds something we've missed. Or one of my teenagers leaves a door open and she gets in to a non-puppy proofed room. I appreciate it's our fault, and we need to be more careful (difficult with 3 teenagers!). But I'd love to hear any suggestions for coping, and in particular whether it is likely to stop as she gets older. I'd expected her to be past the worst of the chewing by now. She's alone for bits of the day, a couple of hours at a time, and that's when she tends to chew. Otherwise she has lots of walks, company, chew toys, playtime. She's our first dog so I'm not sure what to expect. But I dread coming home now, to see what she's chewed today.

Santawontbelong Thu 26-Oct-17 20:19:27

Crate and a Kong?

PaperPumpkin Thu 26-Oct-17 23:13:48

Do you think it's likely to continue like this, or might she still grow out of it a little?

ButFirstTea Thu 26-Oct-17 23:28:03

You need to control her environment and get your teenagers on board. Definitely second the idea of a crate and a frozen kong stuffed with peanut butter or chicken stock.

She might grow out of it but you need to redirect her chewing behaviour whenever you catch her - give her a chew toy if you see her chewing something else. Is she being walked enough? She might also need more mental stimulation, does she know fetch?

IhaveChillyToes Fri 27-Oct-17 00:22:55

Spots of or kitchen roll with Olbas oil or oil of cloves near or on things puppy chews

IhaveChillyToes Fri 27-Oct-17 00:23:18

They don't like smell of it

Wolfiefan Fri 27-Oct-17 00:26:41

Crate or play pen. Puppies do chew!
If you're not there to stop her chewing inappropriate things then she needs to be in a safe and secure space (before she eats something she REALLY shouldn't and ends up in surgery!)
But you will need to crate or pen train. Get her used to going in the crate for a treat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: