Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat just 'peed' on rug

(10 Posts)
pleasingone Sat 21-Oct-17 13:11:08

Hi,

My cat just behaved very weirdly. Spend a few minutes meowing very loudly, then walked into my daughters room and peed on her rug in front of me.. he has never done this before. He is about 7 and we’ve had him 51/2 years.... I’m not impressed but as it’s so out of character wondering what’s up with him.. do not want him to start this..
Wondering if he can feel hurricane Brian although it’s quite calm here...
anyone else experienced this?

Viserion Sat 21-Oct-17 13:13:32

Sounds like he may have a urinary infection. Get him checked by a vet.

pleasingone Sat 21-Oct-17 13:18:53

I’ll google that, thanks.

I’ve had a reminder from the vet that his health check is due so I’ll get him checked out.

dun1urkin Sat 21-Oct-17 13:19:32

Yes, call your vet ASAP, every cat I've know (who wasn't habitually indiscriminate...) had a urinary issue when they have done something like this.
It can be very serious (struvite crystals) so please call your vet, or the emergency out of hours vet if your usual one is closed on a Saturday afternoon, for some advice and to see if you need to take him in.

LG25 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:22:51

Agree re the urinary infection and it should be checked out ASAP. One of mine does this in front of me to let me know he's got an infection and the vet usually wants to see him immediately.

Viserion Sat 21-Oct-17 13:25:00

Today, not next week. It is extremely painful for them, especially if crystal related. And can rapidly become life threatening as they can get blocked and unable to urinate at all.

Wolfiefan Sat 21-Oct-17 13:30:11

Yes. Vet. Today. Can be serious.

DueNov Sat 21-Oct-17 13:31:00

Urinary infection. Make sure you thoroughly clean the rug as the scent could attract the cat to do so again

FlooOOOooomplet Sat 21-Oct-17 17:34:40

Yes UTIs can be quite serious in male cats in particular- this is classic UTI “attention requesting” behaviour. Vets trip asap or if you can get hold of cystaid capsules quicker then try those.

pleasingone Mon 23-Oct-17 15:52:14

Thanks for the advice.

I took my cat to the vet. She didn’t think he had a urine infection as it was a one off incident. She said that he would be spot peeing and drinking more, which he isn’t. She felt his kidneys and checked him over and is happy with him.

What I didn’t mention on Saturday when I posted was that we are having some extensive building work done to the house. Although the builders weren’t here we were ripping out the kitchen. I also started using a new (loud) tumble dryer on Saturday.

The cat is usually so chilled out and has put up with DC playing with him and is very soppy generally. Vet suggested although he has a chilled out personality, the changes at home must be bothering him.
They sold me something similar to feliway so hopefully that will sooth him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now