Talk

Advanced search

having to rehome birds, just a moan.

(8 Posts)
stealtheatingtunnocks Tue 10-Oct-17 23:48:07

Middle kid here is horribly allergic to animal hair and has serious asthma. Allergy clinic found he's not allergic to feathers, yay! Went to a breeder, he spent time in the aviary, no problem, double yay!

Got two baby cockatiels, who are now starting to step up and whistle and we all really enjoy them...but, Middle Kid has been wheezy and clinic said today that they think it's the birds.

Am gutted, we were so careful! They suggest it could be the seed, the poo, who knows.

I haven't told the kids yet, and, I have no idea about where to rehome them to. I don't want to put them on gumtree and amn't sure that the RSPCA is right for them either.

I'm really going to miss them, and the kids are going to be so upset. Bloody asthma.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 11-Oct-17 00:00:33

Won't the breeder take them back?

Shame you have to return them, though. sad

stealtheatingtunnocks Wed 11-Oct-17 08:31:17

Yeah, he probably will, actually. I hadn't thought of that.

I broached it with the kids this morning, a resounding "no!". Such as shame, the birds are really taming and the kids love them. Dammit.

Greyhorses Wed 11-Oct-17 20:56:21

Can you not send the birds away to stay with a friend or family member for a little while and see if it clears up to be sure it's actually them causing the problem?

Rubbish situation though sad

GarkandGookin Wed 11-Oct-17 21:22:04

Cockatiels are very dusty birds - the feather casings break down. One of my tiels is a rehoming from a family where the youngest child developed asthma from the dust.
If you really have to rehome the birds please consider a rescue such as Problem Parrots problemparrots.co.uk/general-menu/66-rehming-a-parrot
A rescue is more likely to be able to ensure a new home is a good one, better than risking whoever you get on Gumtree.

pinkmagic1 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:24:44

Could you get them a small aviary so they can be mostly outside?

stealtheatingtunnocks Wed 11-Oct-17 22:44:39

We had an aviary! A wee one outside, I'd previously kept budgies. Only half a dozen, but, I really loved them.

Got rid of it about two months ago. Though, actually, it doesn't sit right with me to take birds from a busy aviary, house them indoors for 4 months, and then chuck them into an aviary with just two. They need a flock, either us or birds.

Am not going to do gumtree, it's just dodgy.

A friend has offered to house them for a month. No idea how to suggest that to the kids - they have really taken to the birds and spend A Lot Of Time feeding them millet, making them toys, chatting and whistling to them.

I'm surprised at how upset I am. They're only birds!

The subtext is that the middle kid has serious asthma, lots of near fatal episodes when he was younger. Thus the allergy testing and cautious approach to adding birds to the house. And, we had a house budgie who was so very tame, and a bit disabled, for a wee thing he had a big role in our family. Miss them.

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Mon 16-Oct-17 13:55:03

Have a look at BIrdline Parrot Rescue (www.birdline.org.uk). They sometimes rehome unwanted birds (but are often "full up" so suspend that service for a while). Cockatiels usually seem to get new homes fairly fast. It is also a good place to go if you are really really serious about wanting a rescue parrot. You need to be serious because the process can be very slow - they won't let you have one unless you understand what you are doing (or they can educate you) and are the right person for that particular bird. I got my parrot from them - they retain ownership of the birds but let you have them on long-term foster. If something happens to you or your circumstances change, the bird must go back to them for safely rehoming elsewhere. Thus, they are good people to hand your birds to (if they have room!!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now