Talk

Advanced search

Tips on keeping a house rabbit

(8 Posts)
SouthernNorthernGirl Sun 08-Oct-17 17:57:12

We have bought home a rescue bunny today. He is 11 weeks old, and just lovely.

I'd love to hear any tips on how best to keep him. He is currently in a large cage, and is just getting used to the place. I have pellets, and he has a small bowl of them in with him.

I'll be making the place safe tomorrow (wires etc)
Any other information that would make him happy, and keep him friendly would be lovely. I've read so many negative things about them biting or scratching, it would be nice to hear otherwise.

TheScottishPlay Sun 08-Oct-17 18:12:56

Let him come to you. Rabbits are happiest with four paws on the ground. Sit on the floor near but not too close and do your own thing, maybe with a pellet in your hand.
Feed good quality pellets like Science Selective Junior then move onto ordinary Science Selective.
Lots of people say no veg until 6 months but ours were rescue too and had had kale and parsley at the centre so we continued.
Rabbits need plenty of exercise time to free run and a large 6ft x 6ft enclosure ideally.
Push hay as the vast majority of his diet (80%). It is needed for teeth and digestive health. You can give Alfalfa until 3/4 months to help him grow then move to timothy etc. There are hundreds of types of hay, experiment to find one he likes. Some websites eg The Hay Experts give taster packs.
If he is going to spend lots of time with you he will be happy to be an only bun but ideally they are sociable and like a friend. Perhaps think about a neutered female friend in the future. The rescue centre may offer bonding facilities.
If you see him off his food, hunched up or listless get him to a vet immediately. Rabbits go down hill with gut stasis very quickly and it kills fast.
Get him vaccinated and neutered.
There's lots more advice on the RWAF website re toys, behaviours etc.
Enjoy your bunny. They are adorable, mischievious little bundles of fun.

TheScottishPlay Sun 08-Oct-17 18:14:37

Oh, also ours like their water in a bowl as well as a bottle attached to the enclosure.

SouthernNorthernGirl Mon 09-Oct-17 05:48:11

Thanks smile He is booked in for his first set of jabs next week.
Im a SAHM, so he will get lots of attention from me, however I will consider a friend for him soon. He was on his own when we saw him first.

Last night he had soft poo, and when I searched Google (I know!) I couldn't figure out if it was serious, and life threatening or just the normal soft poo he was supposed to eat confused

I offered him a carrot yesterday, however he didn't eat it, and have since read that he should have them only from 12 weeks to 6 months, like weaning I guess?

TheScottishPlay Mon 09-Oct-17 08:48:50

Aw, sounds like a lucky boy, going to be well looked after.
Be sparing with carrot all round. We give ours a tiny bit now and again as they are sugary and not really recommended. Bunnies love carrot tops though. Tesco, Sainsbury and Lidl do carrots with tops still attached.

SouthernNorthernGirl Sat 14-Oct-17 11:12:45

Thanks smile
He had his first set of jabs yesterday, and a health check.
He has been in the large cage during non school hours, and out after bedtime, as begin with the DC are bit over excited over him. I've let them pet him once a day, and made it clear he's not a toy.
Anyway, I wondered if anyone can recommend or suggest a more 'base' for him than the cage. If I leave the door open, he can hop in and out, however it's not very attractive having it plonked in the living. Seeing as we'll have him for many years, I'd like something fun for him, and yet blended into the room - if such a thing exists.

SouthernNorthernGirl Sat 14-Oct-17 11:14:12

More suitable base

Tamberlane Sun 15-Oct-17 10:51:08

have a look on pininterest under house rabbits! loads of options and ideas there if your handy into a bit of diy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now