Talk

Advanced search

Flea epidemic!!

(6 Posts)
PoeticKarma Wed 04-Oct-17 03:16:47

I'm trying to get some advice on the best form of action to rid my home and pets of these fleas. We live near the water in metro Detroit michigan. So there is always moisture in the air. It's been cooler the past couple weeks and the fleas have taken refuge in our home. They came in with a vengeance too! My poor pets have been scratching and chewing themselves raw. We have been bit several times ourselves. I have given the pets several flea baths, used different kinds of topical preventatives, and capstars. I have also used flea spray around my home, washed our bedding, vacuum non stop, tossed out pet bedding, and cleaned all floors. We have 4 shepherd's and 2 cats. I am looking for any method that does not involve using flea bombs. It is almost impossible for us to take all 6 pets,2 adults, and 2 teenagers somewhere for several hours. Especially the cats. Advice please!!! Thank you from a very exhausted momma!

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Wed 04-Oct-17 03:26:31

1. Spray your home (I know you've used A flea spray but they are not all equal! Cheap shite from the supermarket won't cut it!)
2. Hoover. Then burn the Hoover bag
3. Get something from your vet to treat the animals. Again, older meds from the supermarket/ pet store are unlikely to cut it.
4. Repeat as necessary!! Good luck!!

PoeticKarma Wed 04-Oct-17 23:15:06

Thank you i appreciate your advice. We are going to spend all day Saturday bathing, dipping, and preventative on the animals as well as spraying every square inch of our home.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 04-Oct-17 23:18:32

Bravecto was the thing that eventually did it for us!

sugarplumfairy28 Sun 22-Oct-17 15:41:22

We had a major flea issue last year, we treated all 10 cats and 2 dogs and still had a problem.

We had to get proper flea treatment (spot on liquid), not cheap but the only option, none of this herbal nonsense. Treated all the animals at the same time, put each in a pet carrier and out of the house, and then used a (8) flea bombs to treat the entire house while the animals (and us) were out of the house. To treat your home, even if you use powder or spray you do need to leave the property.

The key is to treat everyone and property at the same time, as the fleas will have no alternative or safe place to take refuge.

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 15:42:57

I don't know what you can buy over the counter where you are but in the UK the only stuff that works comes from the vets.
Advocate.
Indorex the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now