Talk

Advanced search

Cat been in accident, losing a leg

(9 Posts)
likeaprayer Mon 25-Sep-17 10:07:03

My cat got run over Saturday, car never stopped but luckily he managed to make it to shed in garden.

Today he's having operation to remove back leg, just wondering has this happened to anyone and any tips to make things easier for Smudge having only 3 legs

thesleepsheep Mon 25-Sep-17 10:27:26

Don’t have any tips but my neighbours cat growing up only had 3 legs. He used to run everywhere fine! But lopsided but happy little thing.

hedwig2001 Mon 25-Sep-17 10:37:01

Our cat lost a back leg after a road accident. She coped pretty well. She could climb fences, but found it hard work. If you have high fences and a gate, maybe leave a way out for him.
He will be ok. They are amazingly resilient.

likeaprayer Mon 25-Sep-17 11:07:11

I know vet says they cope very well on 3 legs, and maybe think off making him a housecat, but he's been used to going out. But we'll see, he a nervous cat and doesn't often cross the road so doubt he will want to go out anyway after he recovers.

Vinorosso74 Fri 29-Sep-17 22:37:13

I have met a few tripods at Cats Protection and they haven't been indoor only cats. In fact they get around ok but the balance looks a bit unsteady at times to me. You coyld always cat proof the garden?

ninjapants Fri 29-Sep-17 22:46:31

My family adopted a cat with 3 legs when I was young. She had been hit by a car and turned up in the garden all battered with infected wounds. She lived to about 17 I think. She had a full and happy life, could climb trees and when she ran towards you it was in a loop rather than a straight line 😸 Your poor cat will be fine, don't worry

ElfrideSwancourt Fri 29-Sep-17 22:48:27

Same thing happened to our cat - she was quite young and adapted really well- she lived for about another 10years with 3 legs and could climb and run really well.
I was quite shocked initially after the op, she looked awful but she healed really quickly.
Hope your cat makes a good recovery.

ninjapants Fri 29-Sep-17 22:48:45

Sorry, forgot to add, put the cat's bed low down to save it having to jump. Likewise their food and water bowls

likeaprayer Thu 05-Oct-17 22:30:28

Thanks for all your advice, he's doing well and has adapted well to having 3 legs was so shocked he could walk so well the day after his op (well hop!)

What's hindering him at moment is other back leg was badly cut and could take a while to heal. He's got a collar guard on so can't lick it but think once that is off they'll be no stopping him, but he's fed up with all the vets visits, they have been so good and adore him, he's a star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now