Talk

Advanced search

NEGLECT at the cattery

(10 Posts)
NoTimeToDillyDally Sun 27-Aug-17 14:12:31

We are very upset. Our cat has diabetes and was very stable before we put her in the cattery for two weeks. We took her for a check up the very day we took her in - just to check she was on the right dose (weight and glucose levels, etc.). All was great. A letter from the vet was given to the cattery, along with her needles and insulin.

In short, we collected her this morning and she was admitted to the vet (for at least 3 days) for being unable to walk properly, 5% dehydration, a loss of 700g in weight since going in, sunken eyes, lethargic to the point of laying on the floor, etc.

The cattery claim she's been absolutely fine but was a bit quiet this morning.

What do we do?

I'm despairing! Although I'm confident in the be
We have a bill of over £1000 but MOST distressing, a terribly poorly cat who quite unnecessarily has been and now is in this state.

If a child had been in a residential camp and been returned in this state, the Social Services would've been contacted.

The cattery claims they'd had no concerns about my cat until this morning, when we collected her but are now saying she'd been seen by a visiting vet, twice.
None of this makes sense.

WingsofNylon Sun 27-Aug-17 20:39:41

You poor thing. This must be scary and confusing. Insist that the cattery put in writting exactly what happened so that they can't keep changing their story.

If they claim a bed see your day then ask for the vets details and get them to also put in writting what happened.

I really hope your cat is recovering. flowers

lljkk Sun 27-Aug-17 20:45:41

What daily care did she need due to her diabetes?
You'd need to show that it was clear to them what they should do correctly & that they didn't do it.

NoTimeToDillyDally Sun 27-Aug-17 22:01:55

Iljk, we had a letter from the vet along with her insulin and needles stipulating exactly the dose and times to administer. This is when more serious than not administering her insulin. She can't walk, has clearly hardly eaten or drunk water etc. It's beyond despicable.

NoTimeToDillyDally Sun 27-Aug-17 22:03:29

Wings. Yes. We've done exactly that. My DH told them they've 24 hours to put it all in writing, including all and any info on visits to / by the vet (unqualified student) and his advice.

I'm disgusted at what's happened to her.

twoheaped Sun 27-Aug-17 22:06:15

Speak to environmental health at your local council, they are responsible for the licensing of animal boarding establishments.

Broken11Girl Sun 27-Aug-17 22:07:29

I'm so sorry, that's appalling. Getting it in writing is a good plan. Hope your poor cat recovers quickly flowers

NoTimeToDillyDally Sun 27-Aug-17 22:19:38

More good advice. Thank you both.
I'm
Wondering whether the cattery will see sense in their neglect of her and offer to pay the 20% insurance fee for this and all related bills. Morally it'd be the right thing to do. They've refused, saying that my cat was completely fine until this morning. hmm

Worldsworstcook Sat 04-Nov-17 20:46:43

Cats don't lose 700g in weight overnight even if they are dehydrated and have lost water.

The fact that you spelt out your cats health issues should've spurred the fattest into take extra special care of you cat.

I'd hold them liable and if they don't cough up say you will leave a detailed and very negative review of their services online. I for one always read reviews before trying anywhere new.

NoTimeToDillyDally Mon 13-Nov-17 14:45:39

Hi World. Exactly. And for her to have lost 18% of her (healthy) body weight in two weeks is shocking.

The situation is now even more upsetting. She recovered well. She was going out as usual (on the advice of the vet), during the day. But after a week of going out , she never returned and is now feared dead. This was a well cat, albeit with well managed diabetes. I'm so sad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: