Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Beloved cat killed last night - devistated

(41 Posts)
AppleMum29 Wed 09-Aug-17 11:48:27

We have moved from a busy town where we were at a main road to the country 3 months ago. Herculese our beloved big teddy bear was always an our side cat and never had problems with roads. Last night I had my doorbell rang and thanfulky some kind lady stopped to inform me that a car in front speeding had hit him and unfortunatly he was dead. I went out and it was him totally devistated, and angry. The person never stoped and they had been goinh that fast that the grill of there car was in bits all over the road. My son is 7 we've had Hercules since he was 1 he was a rescued cat about 8 when we got him but today my son is heartbroken and I've hardly slept. All the what it's in my head what if I took him in last night I feel it's my fault. I am heartbroken and can't stop crying. Everyine I go to the front door I expect to see him or going to the kitchen I expect him to cime out the dining room wanting fed and going in the cat flap. I am coping terribly and I dont want my son to keep seeing me so distraut as i dont want to make him nore up set. I am so lost and sad and angry and such a feeling of emotions. I can't bring myself to go through the shed as that's where his tray and food etc was I had my mum help bury him and asked her to take all his stuff as i couldn't cope seeing it. I just felt like I needed to get this off my chest and don't want to seem to friends that I am overreacting over a cat. He wasn't just a cat to me he was family and much loved. My poor boy I just have no words for my emotions. How does one cope with such a tragic death of a family pet? Am I being to sensitive and silly?

QueenBeex Wed 09-Aug-17 11:52:09

You're NOT being too sensitive and silly AT ALL! flowers

DancesWithOtters Wed 09-Aug-17 11:55:04

So sorry. sadflowers They're not just pets, they are family.

I will raise my glass to your boy tonight.

Hope the knobheads car is a write off and costs thousands to fix.

AppleMum29 Wed 09-Aug-17 11:56:40

Thank you. It just hurts so very much and I feel it's going to take some time to get over! Just can't believe it he was such an intelligent cat he used to walk to the shop with us in our old place and wait outside and walk back and in the morning he wohld walk along the dyke with me and my son when I took him to school and wait for me to come back. I feel so lost and he's left such an empty space

dudsville Wed 09-Aug-17 11:59:17

It's early days pp. Give yourself and your family all the time you need. That's an awful, dreadful thing to have happened to your lovely cat.

ShmooBooMoo Wed 09-Aug-17 11:59:21

Awww, I'm so, so sorry for you and for your little son. Hopefully, your darling cat didn't suffer flowers

ShmooBooMoo Wed 09-Aug-17 12:01:21

Also, what a beautiful cat. Try to focus on the happy years he gave you and the lovely memories. Please don't feel bad...that cat had the best years of his life thanks to you and your little one.

AppleMum29 Wed 09-Aug-17 12:03:31

It's horrible today I feel like I won't get over it. He was my big teddy bear and so very much loved. I am also feeling really angry at the person responsable. He may of been 14 but he was a healthy cat and had many years left with us. He was loving his new house and gardens and loved to hunt. He had already taken us presents back lol. Heartbroken

troodiedoo Wed 09-Aug-17 12:06:08

So sorry for the loss of your dear boy. He is a handsome cat. The feelings are normal, don't fight them. The first few weeks or even longer, it'll feel painfully raw flowers blue cross bereavement service were a great comfort to me when I had to have my boy pts.

AppleMum29 Wed 09-Aug-17 12:08:00

What is blue cross? Sorry I haven't heard of them before? My boys coping ok he gets times when he mentions Herculese and crys laat night was by far the worst he was sobbing his heart out

troodiedoo Wed 09-Aug-17 12:09:29

www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-support

mydogisthebest Wed 09-Aug-17 12:09:42

You are not being silly at all. Pets are family, or should be, so of course we feel upset when they die.

I had 2 cats killed by cars in the space of 6 months. It was on a service road where the speed limit is meant to be 20 miles an hour but drivers ignore it. Neither drivers stopped.

You gave him a loving, caring home

troodiedoo Wed 09-Aug-17 12:10:38

Some might find this twee but I can never read it without crying.

Ollycat Wed 09-Aug-17 12:11:53

I'm so so sorry flowers

AppleMum29 Wed 09-Aug-17 12:13:45

Thank you i will try and read this to my boy later to offer some form of comfort but for now I think I will keep my tears hidden. That's a very difficult thing to read but may bring some comfort to my son so thank you

SparklingBollox Wed 09-Aug-17 12:15:56

Oh no, I am sorry.sad
I remember being little and losing our cat, I was so upset I had to sleep in my Mums bed, they're not just pests are they. They're special little fluffy friends.
thanks

FiveShelties Wed 09-Aug-17 12:16:50

I am really sorry, it is such an awful shock. You are definitely not being silly, it is very painful to lose a much loved pet. It does get easier, honestly and then you remember with a smile, rather than with tears. flowers

AppleMum29 Wed 09-Aug-17 12:20:43

Thank you i feel better getting my feelings out. A lot of my friends don't have animals so wouldn't understand and possibly think I'm being oversensitive as it was "just a cat" ans the old "these things happen " that I got last night. Not what you want to hear after just having buried something so so special to you. This feelings are overwhelming I am really struggling today to cope with my feelings of grief and loss and sadness. My son is uostiars playing and I'm a bawling mess in the bathroom so he can't see me.

SummerLovingGal Wed 09-Aug-17 12:28:24

My son was a similar age to yours when his cat died a couple of years ago in very similar circumstances. He was devastated and wept for days, if not weeks. What helped my son was (and he chose to do this, I didn't suggest it) burning a special candle for the cat night and day, he also wrote a letter to him, telling how much he loved him and how he'd never forget him. Also DS1 and him found a huge stone to use as a gravestone, and wrote on it the birth and death date and how he was much loved and would be missed.

We got another kitten within a couple of weeks and that helped a bit.

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's awful especially when they get run over. Please don't blame yourself. DS2 was angry with me for a while and said we should keep the cats in the house and never let them out, but he agrees now that they love going outside and better they have a short and happy life even if it's more risky, than be cooped up inside.

flowers

DevilsDumplings Wed 09-Aug-17 12:32:53

flowers Understandable. Beloved pets are part of a family.

SparklingBollox Wed 09-Aug-17 13:29:28

Oh people can be so insensitive.
He is absolutely beautiful btw, a real handsome choppy.

SparklingBollox Wed 09-Aug-17 13:29:44

Chappy ffs.

Piratesandpants Wed 09-Aug-17 13:31:43

So very sorry flowers

kittensarecute Wed 09-Aug-17 13:37:13

So sorry for the loss of your dear cat, I was devastated when mine passed away, he's been gone ten years now and I still think of him and miss him.

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Wed 09-Aug-17 13:46:09

You're not being silly at all. I'm so sorry for your loss, he was beautiful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now