Talk

Advanced search

Cat Flea Treatment

(8 Posts)
TheCatsWhiskers Sat 29-Apr-17 08:55:22

My cats have always been flea treated by Frontline.

They are due to go into a cattery soon and the lady said that she would prefer if they were treated with something else as she doesn't think it is always effective.

But I can't remember what she said, any suggestions please?

I would ring her but they don't open until 11am.

AmethystRaven Sat 29-Apr-17 08:57:43

My vets don't stock frontline anymore as it isn't very effective on lots of cats. We have advocate now and it seems to do the trick, though it costs me £26 to do all 3 cats a month! shock

ThatsNotMyMummy Sat 29-Apr-17 09:11:40

Stronghold is a good one.
Ive heard 2 stories with frontline
My vet said they changed the formula of frontline when they began to sell it widely, as a result its less effective.
Another vet said they've built up an immunity.

BrexitSucks Sat 29-Apr-17 09:16:24

£26 a month? I thought Advocate was about £5/dose like all the others.
To get something stronger than frontline U probably need a prescription from the Vet.

TheCatsWhiskers Sat 29-Apr-17 09:16:24

Advocate is the one she said, thank you.

They've never had fleas so far but I won't use Frontline again.

BrexitSucks Sat 29-Apr-17 09:26:24

Just b/c some people think it doesn't work? confused
You have proof Frontline does work for you.

2 problems with frontline:

Usually only for cats < 4kg. Most cats are heavier.
&
It doesn't have household control... doesn't make fleas infertile if they manage to breed after biting & before dying. So they can lay some eggs that will hatch, & you will see more fleas over all.

Neither of those mean fleas developed resistance, just that the dose may be too low or won't prevent some eggs being laid.

TheCatsWhiskers Sat 29-Apr-17 18:59:06

Hi Brexit, I spoke to the vets and they said they actively discourage people using Frontline as it is has become very ineffective.

Don't want to risk it, as a child we had fleas in the house and it was awful for the cat and us. Our cat was being treated but it didn't work.

They recommended Stronghold, so going to use that.

Thanks everyone.

BrexitSucks Sat 29-Apr-17 21:41:54

That's funny. Stronghold (selamectin) is the only one I've ever had doubts about. Fipronil (either Frontline) has always seemed to work.

imidacloprid (Advocat) got best marks in this study.

I've read 4 yrs on MN that Fipronil doesn't work, but those claims may be exaggerated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now