Talk

Advanced search

Can someone talk to me about tortoises please?

(4 Posts)
dontpokethebear Thu 27-Apr-17 16:08:42

I went into my local garden center to buy a new plant for our fish. Low and behold, they had tortoises!
For many years I have longed to have a tortoise. I think it was probably Esio Trot that did it.
We don't have any other pets (apart from the fish, but I can't see them being a threat).

I have done a lot of reading up over the years, and most sources say they are difficult to look after. We have a large allotment, so have a good source of leafy veg etc.

I guess I'm Just wanting advice on difficulty of keeping etc. What breeds are best.

lemureyes Fri 28-Apr-17 10:29:26

I can't really help much in terms of breeds, but I can tell you that you need to be sensible with them.

The obvious clean water needs to be on offer at all times. Leafy veg and maybe some complete food should be offered fresh daily. A heat lamp should be placed at one end of the enclosure so they can bask.

The enclosure I would probably go for is more of a run on the ground that offers plenty of space to roam about rather than a vivarium (or similar).

Guacamowle Fri 28-Apr-17 15:03:18

We have a Horsfield tortoise. He lives in a tortoise table (We bought ours but they can be made out of book cases!). We use top soil as they love to dig and they need both heat and uvb lamps ( can get a combined bulb). Food wise, weeds are best ( which is lucky as dandelions are the only flower I can grow successfully!) We supplement with lambs lettuce, rocket and water cress. Fresh water available all the time - and he loves warm baths! Oh and we dust his food with calcium supplement powder. They are lovely pets - but remember that your tort will most likely outlive you so make sure you have someone to hand it on to ( my granddaughter is already being trained in tortoise care!)

dontpokethebear Sat 29-Apr-17 17:54:50

Thank you so much for your replies!
The shop is selling the tortoise with the full set up. Table, lamps etc.

I think my main concern is it outliving me and not having anyone to take care of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now